General World Cup and in-game discussion

In summary: Chile.Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).
Greg Bernhardt said:
Algeria looking for the upset!

Nope. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Overdose? You must not be a soccer fan :D
Is there a soccer competition going on somewhere? I've just spend 5 days (nearly 8 hours a day) following cricket between England and Sri Lanka.

But I guess a game that takes that long, goes right down to the wire, and ends in a draw is too hard for some people to understand :biggrin:

The London Olympics screwed up the international cricket fixtures for a year either side of it. At least the ICC are treating FIFA with the irrelevance it deserves :smile:

micromass said:
Brazil - Mexico (17 June):
micromass: 4 - 1
DH: 3 - 1
DennisN: 3 - 1
trollcast: 3 - 1
Logger: 3 - 1
cristo: 2 - 1
montadhar: 3 - 1
All of us blew that prediction!

That tie for Mexico was a huge upset, and is making me rethink whether Brazil will win the whole enchilada.

D H said:
All of us blew that prediction!

That tie for Mexico was a huge upset, and is making me rethink whether Brazil will win the whole enchilada.

That is fun! Regretfully I did not see the match. And I need to make predictions for tomorrow too...

D H said:

Yes, I am seriously reconsidering Brazil right now.

I don't think Brazil has what it takes. No way they beat Netherlands or Germany right now.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't think Brazil has what it takes. No way they beat Netherlands or Germany right now.

I agree. I'll probably change my vote to Netherlands tomorrow depending on how they play.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm actually inclined to think so too :smile:. And I am considering if Argentina has got what it takes. Well, I will be looking closely at Argentina in their next match :biggrin:.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Don't jump ship too soon -- Brasil will improve into the more important stages of the competition.

LOL :biggrin:
Australia just scored 2-1 against Netherlands. Is this match played in Neverland?

EDIT 5 min afterwards: Now it's 2-2. Not so much Neverland anymore.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Germany now the clear favorite to win it.
Yeah, I'm gravitating towards that too.

First time ever we won playing against Australia, that sure is an entertaining match!

It's certainly not Spain this year. They have one half to score at least two goals or they are out.

What happened to the Spanish passing game? The "ole!" has turned into "oh ****!"

Andrés Siesta, Sergio Vamos, bye bye...

Chile is now one of my favorite teams. Tons of heart and lots of entertainment.

The Spaniards are not playing as one team. They are playing individually, as 23 overrated individuals.

They are the first team out, aren't they?

Borek said:
They are the first team out, aren't they?
No. Australia beat Spain with regard to not making it past the group play. The teams to advance from groups B is now set in stone. The only question is who's first, who's second.

Group A is wide open. That tie between Mexico and Brazil made that group wide open. Any of the four teams in that group can still take first, anyone can be out. A win in today's final game will be important for both Cameroon and Croatia.

Last edited:
Really stupid red card by Cameroon.

D H said:
No. Australia beat Spain with regard to not making it past the group play.

Silly me, I saw them playing Holland.

Wow, Uruguay defender gets knocked out with a knee to the head, staggers off and then comes back in. That is plain dumb. Sub that guy out and scan is head.

I would love to see the analysis of the second goal Uruguay scored. I am not saying "offside", but I would prefer to be sure.

Borek said:
I would love to see the analysis of the second goal Uruguay scored. I am not saying "offside", but I would prefer to be sure.

Not offside since it came off the defender.

But, in general, not much you can do when faced with a ref who doesn't want to enforce rules: there's no way Uruguay should have had 11 men on the field at half time.

D H said:
No. Australia beat Spain with regard to not making it past the group play. The teams to advance from groups B is now set in stone. The only question is who's first, who's second.

Technically they went out at the same time as a Spanish win would have meant Australia could make it by beating Spain at the same time as Netherlands beat Chile. Spain, Chile, and Austrailia would then have had the 3 points each and it would have ended up being a goal difference affair.

Uruguay - England was a roughest match so far in the world cup. Almost every minute someone gets knocked down.

jobyts said:
Uruguay - England was a roughest match so far in the world cup. Almost every minute someone gets knocked down.

True, there should have been a couple Uruguay yellows.

I am happy that South American teams did well. Chile, Columbia, Uruguay all won! After all this world cup is in South America.

Italy should have sent their football team to the World Cup rather than their Olympic diving team.

I would love another upset too! :devil:

D H said:
Italy should have sent their football team to the World Cup rather than their Olympic diving team.

:smile: :smile:

Costa Rica WINS! 1 -0 Wow!