General solution of differential equation

In summary, the question asks the person to find the general solution of the equation dy/dx - y = x + 2x^2. The person found that xe^(x) z'- e^(x) z= 0, so they would first need to solve for z.
captainjack2000
1. The question asks me to show that e^x is a solution of xy'' - (2x+1)y' + (x+1)y=0 and find the general solution.

2. I managed to simplify the equation to u''xe^(x) - u'e^(x) = 0 by letting y=ue^(x) and finding the differentials and substituting them in.
I've then let z=u dz/du=u' and d^2z/du^2 = u''
so I get xe^(x)(d^2z/du^2) - e^(x)dz/du = 0
How would I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
use integration by parts

Sorry but I am still confused;

if xe^(x)(d^2z/du^2) - e^(x)dz/du = 0
can I simplify this to

x(d^2z/du^2) = dz/du

xdz = du
xz = u +c but z = u?
xu = u +c
How does this help find the general solution?

captainjack2000 said:
1. The question asks me to show that e^x is a solution of xy'' - (2x+1)y' + (x+1)y=0 and find the general solution.

2. I managed to simplify the equation to u''xe^(x) - u'e^(x) = 0 by letting y=ue^(x) and finding the differentials and substituting them in.
I've then let z=u dz/du=u' and d^2z/du^2 = u''
so I get xe^(x)(d^2z/du^2) - e^(x)dz/du = 0
How would I solve this?

You don't solve that! It has two independent variables, u and x. Surely, you don't mean "let z=u dz/du=u' and d^2z/du^2 = u''. If you let z= u, then dz/du= 1. Perhaps you meant "let z= u, dz/dx= u'". But in that case you've gained nothing- you've just renamed u. Much better is "let z= du/dx, dz/dx= d2u/dx2". Then your equation becomes the first order equation xe^(x) z'- e^(x) z= 0. I would be inclined to first divide the entire equation by e^(x)!

Hi can someone please help me with: general solution of dy/dx - y = x + 2x^2

i know how to find general solutions but only when i can separate the y and x in 2 sides and multiply with dx and dy. someone please help me. i have looked in many books

It is NOT good idea to add on to someone elses's thread. People who have already responded to the thread may not even look at your post. Use the "new thread" button on the main menu. In this case, I have already responded on the thread you did start about 4 minutes later!

Related to General solution of differential equation

1. What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions of the equation. It includes constants that can take on different values for different specific solutions.

2. How is a general solution different from a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies given initial conditions. On the other hand, a general solution contains all possible solutions and includes constants that are not specified by initial conditions.

3. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you need to solve the equation by integrating and then add a constant term. This constant represents all possible solutions to the equation.

4. Can a general solution have multiple forms?

Yes, a general solution can have multiple forms. This is because the constant term can take on different values, resulting in different specific solutions. Furthermore, it is common to use different methods or approaches to solve the same differential equation, leading to different forms of the general solution.

5. How do you determine the constant term in a general solution?

The constant term in a general solution can be determined by using initial conditions. These conditions specify the values of the solution and its derivatives at a particular point, allowing us to find the value of the constant term for a specific solution.