General solution of differential equation (express y in term of x)

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, the equation y(x) = f(x).xn can be simplified to y(x) = f(x)xn. Integrating by parts, y(x) = \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}.
delsoo

Homework Statement

i got stucked here. below is the answer given. can anybody help please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0143~6[1].jpg
    DSC_0143~6[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC_0143~7[1].jpg
    DSC_0143~7[1].jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
You can try to simplify the original equation by substituting y(x) = f(x).xn, then see what value of n will get rid of the -y/x term.

This looks like a straightforward "integrating factor" problem.

Chet

dy/dx +Py(x) = Q(X) if i rearrange i would get 0.5 dy/dx + y/x = arc tan x ... is arc tan x function of x?

Last edited:
delsoo said:
dy/dx +Py(x) = Q(X) if i rearrange i would get 0.5 dy/dx + y/x = arc tan x ... is arc tan x function of x?

Multiply both sides by 2. arc tan x is a function of x.

Chet

i redo the question and don't know how to proceed here... any idea on how should i do next ? i don't know how to integreate arc tan x

Attachments

• DSC_0145~3[1].jpg
    DSC_0145~3[1].jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 445
delsoo said:
i redo the question and don't know how to proceed here... any idea on how should i do next ? i don't know how to integreate arc tan x
Integrate by parts. Do you remember how to take the derivative of arc tan x with respect to x?

Chet

Likes 1 person
sorry , i checked thru the syllabus, there's no deriative of arc tan x in it or maybe i can do it in other way? any other way?

delsoo said:
sorry , i checked thru the syllabus, there's no deriative of arc tan x in it or maybe i can do it in other way? any other way?
Yes. Let y = arc tan x

Then tan y = x

Differentiating both sides with respect to x;

[tex]sec^2y\frac{dy}{dx}=1[/tex]

Also, we have the trig identity: [itex]tan^2y+1=sec^2y[/itex]

So, [itex]sec^2y=1+x^2[/itex]

So, [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

So, [tex]\frac{d(tan^{-1}x)}{dx}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

Chet

Likes 1 person
thanks got the solution finally!

Related to General solution of differential equation (express y in term of x)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model various physical or natural processes in the form of a mathematical equation.

2. What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a set of solutions that satisfies the given differential equation. It includes all possible solutions that can be obtained by varying the constants in the solution equation.

3. How do you express y in terms of x for a general solution of a differential equation?

To express y in terms of x for a general solution of a differential equation, you need to solve the differential equation by integrating both sides and then substitute the initial conditions to obtain the final solution.

4. Can a general solution of a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a general solution of a differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because it includes all possible solutions that satisfy the given differential equation, and each solution can have different values for the constants.

5. How is the general solution of a differential equation different from a particular solution?

A general solution of a differential equation includes all possible solutions that satisfy the given differential equation, whereas a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the differential equation with given initial conditions. In other words, a general solution contains a set of solutions, while a particular solution is a single solution.