General Relavitiy, P-branes, and time travel.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of time travel and the role of general relativity in it. While there are theories that support the concept, practical considerations and lack of a unified theory make it difficult to determine its feasibility. There is no consensus among physicists and further research is needed. Additionally, the conversation suggests that learning about physics through scientific papers and education is recommended for a better understanding of the subject.
QuantumTheory
OK, I made another post on this, being too sure of myself that I knew this the answers. This is the wrong thing to do on a forum when everyone else knows more than you :smile:

So, I'll try to make it more reasonable this time.

Doesn't general relativity allow the *theortical* possibility of time travel? I'm not saying it's practical, in fact, some people say the paradoxes (grandfather's paradox, etc) prove that you can not go back into time, or change the past, etc.

I was just surprised when everyone responded and was so sure it wasn't even theortically possible. Now, don't quote me on this, but I've read several laymans books, (" A brief history of time" by stephen hawking was one) since I don't understand the complicated calculus/physics behind the textbooks. Now, I'm pretty sure he said it's theorticall possible, right?

I've always been fasinated by time travel, I know it's probably just a dream, but I know we have so much more to find about the world, so I'm trying to be optimistic here. I mean, look how far we've come in 50 years...
Now space tourism is emerging!

OK, here's why I think the laws of physics may allow it:
Don't some theorties support it? I thought general relativity did? I forgot exactly how (It's been awhile since I've read those books, (^^;;) but I was pretty sure GR was a theory that instead of gravity being an unknown force, gravity was a force that bends spacetime. Therefore, a nearby object in space (a large body, planet, etc) and when a smaller object comes, it will circle around the other planets gravitational field. This is why planets orbit, right?

Also, I heard of something in quantum physics like B-Branes or something, that may allow it to be pratical.

I just want to know why everyone here disapproves of it even being a theortical possibility (which I realize is different than being practicail), since I've read about it qutie a bit, and have gotten quite difference answers, but would like some honest answers from a scientific community.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumTheory said:
So, I'll try to make it more reasonable this time.
Here's what would be more reasonable: go to www.arxiv.org and find a scientific paper that teaches something about any scientific topic whatsoever that you are interested in, put in some effort to learn something concrete about the subject, and then come back for a chat about it.

Papers at www.arxiv.org aren't always as solid as papers published in a peer reviewed journal, or a textbook, but they are easily accessible.

Last edited:
Here's some stuff I found...
Last year Mallett published a paper in Physics Letters describing how a circulating laser beam creates a vortex in space within its circle. The bent laser light actually causes space to whirl around like a twister within the circle.

Mallett deduced that, if he adds a second laser beam shining in the opposite direction and increases its intensity enough, he can warp time into a loop. Unfortunately, once again the energy required is out of reach.

Then he saw an answer. His equations show the slower the light moves within the laser circle, the more space and time distort. Bingo. He can get the needed energy from slow-moving light. The whole crazy notion suddenly became maybe, just maybe, feasible.

In February 1999, Lene Hua and a team at Rowland Institute for Science succeeded slowing light to 38 miles per hour-a galloping zebra goes faster. Mallett plans to use their results in his experiment.
http://www.wonderquest.com/TimeTravel.htm

Light, which normally travels the 240,000 miles from the Moon to Earth in less than two seconds(186,282 miles a second), has been slowed to the speed of a minivan in rush-hour traffic -- 38 miles an hour.
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/02.18/light.html
Interesting...

My best understanding is that there are solutions to the equations of General Relativity that appear to allow for time travel, however, practical considerations as well as deeper complications may render time travel impossible. At this time there is no consensus among physicists what the correct answer to all of this may be, but the nay crowd seems to have a larger population than the yay crowd. My opinion is that without a unified theory this is all speculation at best. For all that we know, we may not have even identified all of variables needed for such a theory.

If any Mentors wish to correct or modify [add to] this statement, please go ahead. If any of our physics gurus wish to comment, please send me a PM. I am closing this to prevent inappropriate speculation.

Finally, if you want to learn physics, go to school. If you want to explore these issues as a hobby, don't expect to understand them.

Edit: Oh yes, as I understand things, Mallet used linearized equations for a non-linear field. In other words, he screwed up and used the wrong equations. That's why his time machine - really a "time-telephone" - won't work.

Last edited:

Related to General Relavitiy, P-branes, and time travel.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1915 that explains how gravity works. It states that mass and energy can warp the fabric of space-time, causing objects to move along curved paths. This theory has been extensively tested and is considered a fundamental principle of modern physics.

2. What are P-branes?

P-branes are theoretical objects that exist in higher-dimensional space. They are similar to strings, but instead of being one-dimensional, they have multiple dimensions, or p-branes. These objects are important in string theory and can help explain the fundamental forces in the universe.

3. Is time travel possible according to general relativity?

According to general relativity, time travel is possible in certain situations. For example, in the theory of gravitational time dilation, time runs slower in stronger gravitational fields. This means that if someone were to travel close to a black hole, they would experience time passing slower compared to someone farther away, creating a type of time travel.

4. How does general relativity affect our daily lives?

General relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, even though we may not realize it. The theory helps us understand the behavior of objects in space, such as planets and stars, and allows us to use GPS technology accurately. Without general relativity, GPS devices would not be as precise as they are today.

5. Can P-branes be used for time travel?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that P-branes can be used for time travel. While they are important in theories that attempt to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces, such as string theory, their existence and properties are still largely theoretical. More research and experimentation are needed to determine if P-branes could potentially be used for time travel.