General GRE Quant: Will a 155 keep me out of top grad school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of GRE scores for admission into graduate school, specifically in the field of electrical engineering. It is recommended to aim for a score higher than 155 in the general GRE and to have a strong score in the subject GRE. The average admission scores for top programs are in the top 10% and it is suggested to score at least in the mid 160s for a chance at a top grad school. The conversation also mentions the standard deviations for verbal and quantitative scores, with the median for admitted students being around 157 (V) and 162 (Q). Overall, it is emphasized that a good GRE score can boost one's application, but it should not come at the expense of other CV-
Lagraaaange
Will a 155 keep me out of graduate school? I hear the general matters very little and I didn't study. Should I bother taking it again for 160+ or am I wasting my time?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen top schools (electrical engineering) can easily fill up their slots with applicants having 160+ scores, there's just so many competitive applicants. The average admission scores for top 10 programs seem to be in the top 10% in GRE quantitative.

I took the GRE and got a 160Q/157V and I'm retaking it this Wednesday to try improving my score. A better score can't hurt unless it comes at the expense of other CV boosting things (research, high course grades).

While you need to do well in the subject GRE, I would shoot to get higher than 155 in the general just to avoid any cutoffs.

Like I said the last time you asked this question, a great general GRE will not help you; a poor general GRE will hurt you. This is a poor score for physics.

Now I am curious, what is considered a "low score" for the verbal portion? I got a 161 (170 on Q), but figured that was okay...

This is all on the ETS web site: The mean verbal score for people who took the test and declared an intention to enter a physics program is 156 with a standard deviation of 8, and for the quantitative part it's 161 with a standard deviation of 6. Analytical writing is 3.8 with a standard deviation of 0.8.

Remember, about twice as many people take the GRE as go into physics, so the average score of admitted students is likely higher. Using Table 1A in the GRE Guide To The Use of Scores suggests that the median admitted student has about a 160 verbal and a 165 quantitative.

161 verbal is completely fine for physics. 155 quantitative is very bad. That score suggests you are not great at doing basic high school math. Quite frankly, if want to get into a top grad school, you should be able to get at least in the mid 160s with little studying. You should already have mastered that material as a physics major.

Vanadium 50 said:
The mean verbal score for people who took the test and declared an intention to enter a physics program is 156 with a standard deviation of 8, and for the quantitative part it's 161 with a standard deviation of 6. Analytical writing is 3.8 with a standard deviation of 0.8.

More numbers - the median (not mean) is 157 (V), 162 (Q) and 3.8 (W). The 75% point - roughly the median for accepted students - is 162 (V), 167 (Q) and 4.6 (W).

Related to General GRE Quant: Will a 155 keep me out of top grad school?

1. Will a score of 155 on the General GRE Quant section prevent me from getting into a top grad school?

A score of 155 on the General GRE Quant section may not necessarily prevent you from getting into a top grad school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including your overall GRE score, undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Additionally, some top grad schools may have a lower average GRE score for their admitted students. It is important to research the specific requirements and average scores for the grad schools you are interested in.

2. How does a score of 155 on the General GRE Quant section compare to other applicants?

A score of 155 on the General GRE Quant section falls within the 59th percentile, meaning that 59% of test takers scored below this score. While it may not be considered a top score, it is still a solid score and may be competitive depending on the admissions requirements of the grad schools you are applying to.

3. Is a score of 155 considered a good score on the General GRE Quant section?

A good score on the General GRE Quant section is subjective and can vary depending on the grad schools you are applying to. Generally, a score above 155 is considered competitive for most grad school programs. However, it is important to research the average scores for the specific grad schools you are interested in to determine if a score of 155 is considered good.

4. Can I retake the General GRE if I am not satisfied with my score of 155 on the Quant section?

Yes, you can retake the General GRE if you are not satisfied with your score of 155 on the Quant section. However, keep in mind that some grad schools may consider the highest score you have received, while others may consider the most recent score. It is important to research the policies of the grad schools you are applying to before retaking the exam.

5. How can I improve my score on the General GRE Quant section?

There are a variety of ways to improve your score on the General GRE Quant section. You can start by familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the exam, and then practice with sample questions and full-length practice tests. Additionally, consider seeking out a tutor or joining a study group to help you focus on specific areas that you may need to improve on. It is also important to manage your time effectively during the exam and to review your answers carefully. With dedication and practice, you can improve your score on the General GRE Quant section.