General Chemistry (career) questions.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their educational goals for a career in medicine and research. They are considering a BSc in Chemistry and a PhD in Biochemistry, with a possible minor in computer science to aid in research. They are also seeking clarification on the necessary education for serious research in finding cures for diseases.
nukeman
Hey all,

Sorry in advance if these are silly questions, but ill try my best to explain my self.

Lets say my goal for a career is working in medicine, and doing research in finding cures for diseases and illnesses.

What are my educational goals... Is this mainly a BSc in chemistry, and then a Phd in Chemistry.

Any help would be great...Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This should probably be moved to a different section, but...

To find a cure for a disease, you need to understand how it affects the body, so at least some biology will be involved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but biochemistry would probably be the best route. To do serious research like you're talking about, you would need at least a master's, though a Ph.D. would be preferable.

Hey, thanks!

Yea I was thinking of doing my BSc in Chemistry and getting my Phd in BioChemistry. I also might minor in computer science as I have been told knowing programming and computer science will help me with research and grad school for biochemistry.

pzona said:
This should probably be moved to a different section, but...

To find a cure for a disease, you need to understand how it affects the body, so at least some biology will be involved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but biochemistry would probably be the best route. To do serious research like you're talking about, you would need at least a master's, though a Ph.D. would be preferable.

Related to General Chemistry (career) questions.

What is the job outlook for a career in general chemistry?

The job outlook for a career in general chemistry is positive, with a projected growth rate of 6% from 2019 to 2029. This is due to the increasing demand for chemists in industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental protection, and materials science.

What are the typical job responsibilities of a general chemist?

A general chemist is responsible for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and interpreting results to understand the properties and behavior of different substances. They may also be involved in developing new products or improving existing ones, as well as ensuring the safety and quality of products through testing and analysis.

What education and skills are required for a career in general chemistry?

Most positions in general chemistry require at least a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree. In addition to formal education, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills are essential for success in this field.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in general chemistry?

A degree in general chemistry can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, materials science, environmental protection, and food and beverage production. Some common job titles for general chemists include research chemist, quality control chemist, and analytical chemist.

How can I advance in my career as a general chemist?

Advancement in a career in general chemistry often involves gaining experience and taking on more responsibility in your current role. Pursuing higher education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, can also open up opportunities for advancement. Networking and staying updated on industry developments can also help you advance in your career.