Physics or Chemistry: PhD Career Prospects & Interactions

In summary, the conversation touches on the question of which major, chemistry or physics, involves more interactions between subatomic particles. The speaker is currently interested in chemistry because it deals with the interactions of atoms, but is also intrigued by physics which has more day-to-day applications. They originally planned to pursue a career in academia with a PhD in physics, but are concerned about job prospects. The conversation also discusses the demand for chemistry and physics jobs, as well as the potential career prospects in nanotechnology with a physics PhD. Ultimately, the summary highlights the differences between chemistry and physics in terms of fundamental research and practical applications, as well as the potential career opportunities and challenges in both fields.
Lennie Oswald
I have searched the forums for this thread and have read several threads but I still have a few unanswered questions. Which major will involve more of the interactions between subatomic particles? Right now, chemistry is very interesting to me because it deals a lot with the interactions of the atoms and how and why nature behaves the way it does. However, looking back on the advancements made in chemistry, I notice quite a few of the advancements were done by physicists. Also, reading about physics really has me interested because from what I can tell, physics is more involved with day to day things which excites me. Quantum mechanics especially. My original plan was to get a phD in physics and pursue a career in academia. Over 50% of physicists don't have a job related to physics, apparently. If you have received an education from an Ivy league, will your chances increase? Also, what are the career prospects in nanotechnology with a physics phD?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of questions there.

Chemistry tends to be more applied these days, thus more industrial jobs. More demand means larger Chem departments at schools which means more faculty jobs.

Physics is both more fundamental and deals more with stuff other than atoms, molecules, and electrons. There is nothing fundamentally new to discover in Chemistry, it is all applied quantum mechanics and thermo in one way or another.

Related to Physics or Chemistry: PhD Career Prospects & Interactions

1. What types of job opportunities are available for PhD holders in Physics or Chemistry?

As a PhD holder in Physics or Chemistry, you can pursue a career in academia as a research professor or lecturer, or in industry as a research scientist, consultant, or product developer. You can also work in government agencies, such as national labs or regulatory bodies, or in science policy and advocacy. Non-traditional career paths include science communication, patent law, and data science.

2. How does a PhD in Physics or Chemistry prepare you for a career in research?

A PhD in Physics or Chemistry provides in-depth knowledge of fundamental principles, research methodologies, and analytical techniques in your chosen field. It also trains you in critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management. Through your dissertation research, you gain hands-on experience in designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating your findings through publications and presentations.

3. What are the potential interactions between Physics and Chemistry in the context of a PhD career?

Physics and Chemistry are closely related disciplines, and there are many opportunities for collaboration and interdisciplinary research in areas such as biophysics, materials science, and chemical physics. As a PhD holder in either field, you may have the chance to work on projects that require a combination of skills and knowledge from both disciplines, and bridge the gap between them.

4. How important is networking for PhD career prospects in Physics or Chemistry?

Networking is crucial for PhD career prospects in Physics or Chemistry. Building relationships with colleagues, mentors, and industry professionals can open doors to job opportunities, collaborations, and funding. Attending conferences, workshops, and other events in your field is a great way to meet and connect with others in the scientific community.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to pursuing a PhD in Physics or Chemistry?

One potential drawback of pursuing a PhD in Physics or Chemistry is the time commitment. It can take 4-6 years or more to complete a PhD program, during which you may be living on a modest stipend. Additionally, the job market for PhDs in these fields can be competitive, and securing a tenure-track position or industry job may require additional postdoctoral training and experience.