Gauss' law for concentric circles

In summary, a small conducting spherical shell with inner radius a and outer radius b is concentric with a larger conducting spherical shell with inner radius c and outer radius d. The inner shell has total charge -2q and the outer shell has charge +4q. Using Gauss' law, the electric field is calculated for various distances r from the common center of the two shells. The distribution of charge on the larger shell is necessary to ensure a zero electric field inside the conductor. The total charge on the inner surface of the small shell is -2q, while the total charge on the outer surface is +2q. On the inner surface of the larger shell, there is +2q charge to cancel out the -2q charge on
gracy

Homework Statement

A small conducting spherical shell with inner radius a and outer radius b is concentric with a larger conducting spherical shell with inner radius c and outer radius d. The inner shell has total charge -2q and the outer shell has charge +4q.
a) calculate the electric field (magnitude and direction) in termsof q and the distance r from the common center of the 2 shells fori) r<a; ii) a<r<b; iii) b<r<c; iv) c<r<d; v)r>d.
b) what is the total charge on the i) inner surface of the smallshell; ii) outer surface of the small shell; iii) inner surface of the large shell; iv) outer surface of the large shell.

Homework Equations

E.4πr^2=q/ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

concentric.png

[/B]
This is drawn in my textbook
I have following doubts
1)why charge +4q is distributed /splitted in such a manner i.e +2q &+2q and then why one +2q is put in the circle of inner radius c and one +2q is placed in the circle of inner radius of d.
2)what is the difference between the positions p3 and p4 because my textbook states at P3 electric field would have some magnitude but at P4 electric field would be zero because it lies inside the conductor then why P3 is not considered to be inside the conductor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the question it's stated that
gracy said:
The inner shell hastotal charge +2q
But the picture shows otherwise, which is the correct one?

Likes gracy
blue_leaf77 said:
But the picture shows otherwise, which is the correct one?
I have fixed that.

gracy said:
1)why charge +4q is distributed /splitted in such a manner i.e +2q &+2q and then why one +2q is put in the circle of inner radius c and one +2q is placed in the circle of inner radius of d.

Let me start by saying the innermost cavity with radius ##a## is going to have zero enclosed charged, and therefore the electric field is zero inside of the cavity.

Now, what about between ##a## and ##b##? Remember the charge is distributing itself uniformly across the outer surface of the inner conductor.

Then the diagram indicates a ##-2 q## charge on the outside of the innermost shell and a ##+2 q## charge on the inside of the outermost shell. This indicates an electric field that points from the inside of the outermost shell to the outside of the innermost shell. You may use Gauss' law to find ##\vec E##.

Now what is the electric field between ##c## and ##d##? Hint: Think about the field between ##a## and ##b##.

Finally, the outermost shell has a ##+2 q## charge on its surface, and therefore the electric field points radially outward from the sphere. Use Gauss' law to find the electric field once again.

gracy said:
2)what is the difference between the positions p3 and p4 because my textbook states at P3 electric field would have some magnitude but at P4 electric field would be zero because it lies inside the conductor then why P3 is not considered to be inside the conductor?

Well for one, the two points are at different locations. The electric field at ##P3## is due to the opposing charges on the inside of the outer conductor and outside of the inner conductor. There must be an electric field at ##P3## as a result, whereas at ##P4## the electric field should be zero because you are on the conductor itself. ##P3## is not inside a conductor because it is outside the inner conductor which has a charge on its surface and ##P3## is inside the outer conductor which also has a charge on its inner surface.

Likes gracy
P1 is also not inside the conductor,right?

This question is still remaining.
gracy said:

gracy said:
Such charge redistribution for the larger sphere is required to satisfy the requirement that the electric field inside a conductor must be zero. In order to have ##E=0## for ##c<r<d##, the net charge enclosed by a spherical surface with radius ##r## with ##c<r<d## must be zero. Since you already have ##-2q## total charge from the small sphere, you need ##+2q## to be placed on the inner surface of the large sphere. You are left with the remaining ##+2q## in the large sphere and these charges must reside on the outer surface for the same reason as above, ##E=0## inside any conductor.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Imagine a Gaussian surface inside (within the material) the outer conductor (intersecting P4). What's the field over that Gaussian surface? Apply Gauss' law.

Likes gracy
Doc Al said:
What's the field over that Gaussian surface?
zero.electric field inside the conductor (here gaussian surface) is zero.

gracy said:
zero.electric field inside the conductor (here gaussian surface) is zero.
Good. So what must the total charge enclosed by that surface be?

Likes gracy
Doc Al said:
So what must the total charge enclosed by that surface be?
zero.

gracy said:
zero.
Good. So what's the total charge on the inner conductor? Given that, what must be the charge on the inner surface of the outer conductor to cancel it?

Likes gracy
Doc Al said:
So what's the total charge on the inner conductor? Given that, what must be the charge on the inner surface of the outer conductor to cancel it?
blue_leaf77 said:
the net charge enclosed by a spherical surface with radius rr with c<r<dc must be zero. Since you already have −2qtotal charge from the small sphere, you need +2q to be placed on the inner surface of the large sphere. You are left with the remaining +2q in the large sphere and these charges must reside on the outer surface for the same reason as above, E=0 inside any conductor.
Got your points.Thanks @Doc Al & @blue_leaf77

The same question asks me to make a graph of E as a function of r.Could you please help me in that too?

Have you calculated the electric field in each region?

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes.

Then, making a graph of E(r) should not be a problem.

Hmm...let's see.

I want to know how the blue lines are figured out?
graph.png

I think the question asks you to calculate the magnitude of the field, and hence should be positive everywhere.
Figure out the blue lines, you mean the values on the vertical axis? You have figured it out, haven't you?

blue_leaf77 said:
You have figured it out, haven't you?
It is (the graph)given as solution in backside of my book.
blue_leaf77 said:
That I have calculated on my own but only for the below cases
gracy said:
i) r<a; ii) a<r<b; iii) b<r<c; iv) c<r<d; v)r>d.

And I don't understand where these values are coming from
1/4πε0.2qd^2,1/4πε0.-2q c^2,1/4πε0.-2qb^2

Let me ask you this, what expression did you get for the E field for ##b<r<c##?

Likes gracy
The enclosed charge itself between ##b## and ##c## is?

blue_leaf77 said:
what expression did you get for the E field for b<r<cb
you mean for P3?It is E=-2q/4πε0r^2

Zondrina said:
The enclosed charge itself between bb and cc is?
zero.

gracy said:
you mean for P3?It is E=-2q/4πε0r^2
Yes. So what will you get after setting r=b and r=c?

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes. So what will you get after setting r=b and r=c?
But for b &c E is zero.

gracy said:
But for b &c E is zero.
This is an example of boundary condition for the normal components of electric field. Mathematically, it has the form of
$$
E_{1\perp}-E_{2\perp} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}
$$
where there is surface charge density, the normal components of the E field in the media separated by the surface undergo discontinuity.

Likes gracy
blue_leaf77 said:
This is an example of boundary condition for the normal components of electric field. Mathematically, it has the form of
E1⊥−E2⊥=σϵ0​
E_{1\perp}-E_{2\perp} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}
where there is surface charge density, the normal components of the E field in the media separated by the surface undergo discontinuity.
All these new for me;did not understand.

That equation physically means that if in the interface between two media there is surface charge density ##\sigma##, the electric field components perpendicular to this interface in the two media separated are discontinuous by the amount ##\sigma/\epsilon_0##. Let's take an example for the spherical surface of radius ##b## in your problem. This surface separates the conducting medium below (##r<b##) and the vacuum outside (##r>b##). This spherical surface also carries a surface charge density of
$$
\sigma = \frac{-2q}{Area\hspace{1mm}of\hspace{1mm} the\hspace{1mm} surface} = \frac{-2q}{4\pi b^2}
$$
We know that the field in immediately below the surface is zero since it's inside the a conductor, so ##E_{1\perp}=0##. The perpendicular component of the field immediately outside our spherical surface is then
$$
E_{2\perp} = E_{1\perp} - \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} = 0 - \frac{-2q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 b^2} = \frac{2q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 b^2}
$$
But since the E field vector itself in our problem is perpendicular on our spherical surface, we have that ##E(b) = E_{2\perp} = \frac{2q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 b^2}##.

Likes gracy
blue_leaf77 said:
E2⊥=2q4πϵ0b2E(b) = E_{2\perp} = \frac{2q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 b^2}.
But It is (negative) -2q/4πϵ0b^2 in the graph.

So it's a matter of interpreting blue leaf's 1 and 2 in post #29 and in post #31, right ?
My guess is (and this guy backs me up in his (634) ) he mixed them up. If you go from 1 to 2 over a surface charge ##\sigma## you have ##
E_{2\perp}-E_{1\perp} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##.

This way the field in ## b < r < c## is the field of -2q at the origin -- as it should be.

Re your
gracy said:
But for b &c E is zero.
that is true coming from the conductor side. In his post #27 he wants you to come from the other side, so you get a value for the jump in E at the discontinuity.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
But for b &c E is zero
I think I am confusing the point P2 with b.Electric field at r=b was never zero.

And sign confusion is still there .Why for r=d it's positive and for r=b &r=c it's negative.What pattern does it follow?from outside to inside or from inside to outside?