Game theory: Optimal Strategy. Need help with a system of equations.

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the solution to a system of equations based on a 3x3 Rock, Paper, Scissors payout table where winning with scissors is given a +2 payout instead of +1. The answer, a=2b=2c, is stated in the book but not explained mathematically. It may involve derivatives, which the person asking the question is not familiar with. A reference was provided for further analysis, but the person is still unsure of how to compute the reduced system of equations into the correct answer. They mention using simpler examples from a book on game theory for fun.
morrowcosom
This problem is not schoolwork, it is from "The Mathematics of Poker". I have three equations based off a 3x3 Rock, Paper, Scissors payout table where winning with scissors is given a +2 payout instead of +1.

Homework Statement

Find the solution to the system of equations

Homework Equations

-b+c
a-2c
-a+2b

The Attempt at a Solution

a=2b=2c
*This answer is stated in the book, but I do not know how the answer arrived from
the system of equations, as the book does not explain the mathematics.

It looks like this is dealing with derivatives,
but I have not worked with those.

Could somebody explain how the answer was computed?

Thanks for the help,
I want to solve more games

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this reference that goes through the analysis of making the payout matrix and reducing it to what you have which may help.

http://en.donkr.com/forum/modeling-poker---part-2-537213

I just do not know how to compute that reduced system of equations that I have into the correct answer. The actual math is beyond me.

On the poker website, he is using simple EV equations, but the answer in the book for my game comes out looking like it came from some other process.

That author you pulled up has some really heady stuff on optimal play in poker (some of which I use), but ironically, I was just trying to use the simpler examples in my book to help me solve simpler day to day things with game theory for fun.

Related to Game theory: Optimal Strategy. Need help with a system of equations.

1. What is game theory?

Game theory is a branch of applied mathematics and economics that studies how individuals or groups make decisions in situations where the outcome depends on the actions of others. It involves analyzing different strategies and their potential outcomes in order to determine the best course of action.

2. How is game theory applicable to real-world situations?

Game theory is used to model decision-making in various fields such as economics, political science, psychology, and biology. It can be applied to situations where there are multiple actors with conflicting interests, and helps to predict their behavior and outcomes.

3. What is an optimal strategy in game theory?

An optimal strategy in game theory is a course of action that maximizes a player's payoff, taking into consideration the actions of other players. It is the best possible move to make in a given situation, based on the likely outcomes and potential risks.

4. How does one determine an optimal strategy?

Determining an optimal strategy involves analyzing the payoffs, actions, and strategies of all players involved in a game. This can be done using mathematical models, decision trees, and other techniques to identify the best course of action for each player.

5. Can game theory be used to solve complex problems?

Yes, game theory has been used to solve complex problems in various fields, such as business, politics, and military strategy. It can help to identify optimal solutions and predict the behavior of others, making it a valuable tool for decision-making in complex situations.