Fun Party Tricks to Impress Your Friends

In summary, there are various party tricks that can entertain and amaze people, such as the disappearing pencil trick or opening a beer bottle with your teeth. One trick involves using a handkerchief to conceal a matchstick and then magically making it appear unbroken. Another trick involves using angles to make it look like you are levitating. However, some tricks can be mean, like the one involving wasting beer, and it's always important to be careful when attempting any trick. There are also different opinions about which tricks are old and boring, with some preferring the traditional beer bottle opening and others finding more impressive ways to do it.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Any one know of some good party tricks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take two identical coins and lay them on the table between you and your fellow party-person. Tell them that you are going to turn around so you can't see what they do, and they are to take one coin and hold it on their forehead while they count to 10 out loud. They put the coin back in its original position.

You then turn around, pick up the coins, one in each hand, conjure for a bit, and then show them which one they counted with. Usually good for a few puzzled looks and amazement!

The Joker's "disappearing pencil" trick from The Dark Knight is always good for a few laughs.

My friend Lewis likes to open glass beer bottles with his teeth :) It's always interesting waiting for him to break a tooth.

http://video.about.com/wine/Saber-a-Champagne-Bottle.htm

When I was little, everyone carried a cloth handkerchief.

My mother taught me a trick that I used to marvel the younger children.

In the hem of the handkerchief, you would push a wooden matchstick/toothpick into the center of the hem. Then holding the handkerchief in front of everyone and asking them to touch it and admit that it was empty, you would then roll, (starting at the tip of the hankie) either a toothpick or wooden match stick, up until the handkechief was a cylinder. You would then have everyone watching feel it to confirm that the whole matchstick was there. You would then break the matchstick in two, have everyone feel it and confirm it was broken. Then you would unroll the handkerchief and produce the unbroken matchstick to everyone's amazement.

Of course what you broke was the hidden matchstick you had previously concealed in the hem.

Lame by today's standard, but a great trick then.

If you want to practice your angles a little bit you can do the David Blaine levitation (Baladucci levitation?) pretty easily. Stand with your back to whoever is watching. Put your feet together with your right foot a few inches forward. then go up on your tippie toes on your right foot and lift your left foot off the floor keeping it parallel to the floor. your left leg and left foot conceal the toes of your right foot and it looks like you levitate. Just don't stay up for more than a second or two and don't repeat the trick because they will figure it out.

A mean trick that results in your friends wasting their beer when they try to duplicate your feet with a full bottle of beer instead of a partially full bottle of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
A mean trick that results in your friends wasting their beer when they try to duplicate your feet with a full bottle of beer instead of a partially full bottle of water.

What I want to see is someone duplicate their feet. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fun Party Tricks to Impress Your Friends

1. What are some easy party tricks that I can learn quickly?

Some easy party tricks to impress your friends include card tricks, coin tricks, and simple magic tricks like making a coin disappear or guessing someone's chosen card. You can also learn some basic sleight of hand tricks with everyday objects like pencils or rubber bands.

2. Are there any party tricks that don't require any props?

Yes, there are many party tricks that don't require any props. For example, you can learn how to tie a knot in a cherry stem with your tongue, how to balance a spoon on your nose, or how to do a handstand without using your hands. These tricks are impressive and fun to show off at parties without needing any props.

3. Can you recommend any party tricks that involve science or physics?

Yes, there are several party tricks that involve science or physics. For example, you can learn how to balance a broom on your hand by finding its center of gravity, or how to make a coin spin on a table by creating a vortex with your finger. You can also learn how to make a paper clip float in water using surface tension or how to create a homemade lava lamp using oil, water, and food coloring.

4. Are there any party tricks that are better suited for larger groups?

Yes, there are many party tricks that are better suited for larger groups. For example, you can learn how to do a human knot activity where everyone holds hands and tries to untangle themselves without letting go. You can also learn how to play the game of "Mafia" where players have to guess who the "mafia" is among the group. Other fun party tricks for larger groups include charades, Pictionary, and karaoke.

5. Where can I find more fun party tricks to impress my friends?

You can find more fun party tricks by searching online for tutorial videos or articles, checking out books from your local library, or asking friends and family for recommendations. You can also attend magic shows or events where you can learn and see new party tricks in action. Practice and have fun with different tricks to find the ones that work best for you and your friends.