Frozen fruit aggregates in hot porridge

• I
  • Thread starter Smatter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the freezing process causes the berries to collect in the center of the pot where they can be lifted out as one solid block.
Smatter
I noticed something when making my breakfast that seems totally counterintuitive. If I add frozen berries that are separate in the pack to my porridge, as I'm heating it, the berries instantly form a solid, icy mass that I can lift out as one block.

I can't understand why the berries all aggregate together in a hot medium - any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! That's an unusual question. I'll try a guess.

The berries are cold enough to cool a bit of the hot porridge and freeze it. If a bit of liquid is sandwiched between two or more berries, that happens even faster. That forms a clump. Then when the clump meets another berry, it freezes the liquid between them, making a bigger clump. ...

But the freezing will not move berries from the far edges of the bowl into the middle. There must be something else providing motion to bring the berries near each other.

anorlunda said:
But the freezing will not move berries from the far edges of the bowl into the middle. There must be something else providing motion to bring the berries near each other.

Thanks for the reply. To be clear I'm pouring the berries into the middle of hot porridge so it naturally forms a sort of berry "hill". I think you're right though, there must be liquid from the porridge seeeping into the interstices in the berry hill and they must be cold enough to freeze that liquid even though it must be quite hot and the hill is surrounded by hot porridge. Actually it seems sort of obvious now that you've pointed it out to me.

I agree. The berries are likely around -30C, so water on the surface is freezing into ice, and upon contact the berries freeze together in the pot. The hot medium ie porridge being cooked will have a drop in temperature in the vicinity of the berries.

I would suggest that the outsides of the berries gets above 0C and the surrounding ice layer melts due to nearby hot porridge. After some time, this water freezes again due to heat loss to the insides of the berries.
The only solution is to mix in the berries initially or sprinkle, I think.

Related to Frozen fruit aggregates in hot porridge

1. What causes frozen fruit aggregates to form in hot porridge?

When frozen fruit is added to hot porridge, the temperature difference causes the fruit to thaw and release water. As the water from the fruit mixes with the hot porridge, it creates a sticky layer around the fruit, causing them to stick together and form aggregates.

2. Is it safe to eat frozen fruit aggregates in hot porridge?

Yes, it is safe to eat frozen fruit aggregates in hot porridge. The fruit is still frozen and therefore, the temperature is not high enough to cause any bacteria growth. However, it is important to make sure the fruit is properly washed and stored before freezing to avoid any contamination.

3. How can I prevent frozen fruit aggregates from forming in my hot porridge?

To prevent frozen fruit aggregates from forming in hot porridge, you can thaw the fruit before adding it to the porridge. This will prevent the release of excess water from the fruit and the formation of sticky layers. Alternatively, you can also add the fruit to the porridge when it is at a lower temperature.

4. Can I use frozen fruit aggregates in other dishes besides hot porridge?

Yes, frozen fruit aggregates can be used in a variety of dishes, such as smoothies, baked goods, and salads. The texture and taste may be slightly different from using fresh fruit, but it is still safe to eat and can add a unique twist to your dishes.

5. How can I store frozen fruit aggregates for future use?

Frozen fruit aggregates can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Make sure to label the container with the type of fruit and the date it was frozen. When ready to use, simply thaw the fruit in the refrigerator or at room temperature before adding it to your dish.