A practicle problem involving soup.

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has 2 quarts of frozen vegetarian chili and is trying to find the quickest way to thaw it without overcooking it. They consider two options: lowering the power setting on the microwave and frequently draining off liquid, and breaking the chili into smaller chunks to increase the surface area. They also inquire about other possible approaches and mention that they have already started eating the chili.
mrspeedybob
I have in my possession 2 quarts of the most delicious vegetarian chili. The problem is that due to the fact that it is left over from a month ago it is currently frozen solid in my freezer. I am hungry and wish do eat it as soon as possible.

My first act is to place the container of chili in the microwave and turn it on, soon however I encounter a problem. I hear the soup boiling, but upon inspection I find only a very small portion of the chili around the edge of the bowl is hot, the majority of the interior is still frozen solid. I do not want to overheat the chili as I thaw it because the onions are best when medium rare and not overcooked. I am left with 2 options...

1. turn the microwave to a lower power setting so that the heat will have time to move from the outer regions into the frozen core without the outer regions overheating

2. frequently remove the chili and drain off the liquid into another bowl, then return the frozen portion to the microwave. This increases the time when no heat energy is being added but reduces the average mass of the chili in the microwave. One additionalmfactor here is that the chili has stratified so the entire block bust be thawed before it can be properly mixed again, I can't just thaw and eat a portion.

So the question is, which of these approaches results in me having a bowl of chili in the shortest time? Is there another approach I haven't thought of?

P.S. I'm already eating the chili now so information gathered through this discussion is for future reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your microwave have a turnstile-thingy in it? Sometimes I find that mine heats things unevenly and I situate it on the outer edge of the turnstile so it's not in one place relative to the center of the heating chamber.

Since the chili is going to melt from the outside in, the best way to decrease the melt time is to increase the surface area i.e. break it up into smaller frozen chunks.

Related to A practicle problem involving soup.

1. What is the best way to store leftover soup?

The best way to store leftover soup is to let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container and placing it in the refrigerator. It is important to consume the leftover soup within 3-4 days.

2. How can I make my soup thicker?

To make your soup thicker, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water or a roux (a mixture of flour and fat) to the soup and let it simmer for a few minutes. This will help thicken the soup without altering the flavor.

3. Can I freeze soup?

Yes, you can freeze soup. However, it is important to cool the soup completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Soup can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. When reheating, make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before heating it up.

4. How can I make my soup less salty?

If your soup is too salty, you can add a peeled potato or a splash of vinegar to help balance out the saltiness. Alternatively, you can dilute the soup by adding more liquid or other ingredients such as vegetables or grains.

5. Can I use canned soup to make a homemade soup?

Yes, you can use canned soup as a base for a homemade soup. However, it is important to taste and adjust the seasonings as canned soup can be high in sodium and preservatives. You can also add fresh ingredients such as vegetables, herbs, and protein to enhance the flavor and nutrition of the soup.