Friction: decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete

In summary: The truck starts out moving at 58 km/h and then the driver applies the brakes. The car comes to a stop in 4.6 seconds. If the concrete surface is wet, the car travels an additional 4.8 meters before coming to a stop.
tratata

Homework Statement

A pick up truck is traveling at 58 km/h on a dry horizontal concrete surface when the driver applies the brakes locking the wheels. (a) How far does the car travel before coming to rest? (b) How long does it take the car to stop after the driver applies the brakes? (c) How far does the car travel before coming to rest if the concrete surface is wet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even understand where to start! Please offer any suggestions. I can't find any equation where just the velocity would be sufficient. I have V1 and V0 but absolutely nothing else - well also μk and μs. ok wait if I have μs that should somehow help me...but how? Any help greatly appreciated! Kind regards,
Kate

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tratata! :smile:

from µ, you can find the acceleration

does that help? :wink:

Don't try to find an equation to plug numbers into to get the answer. Instead, use your understanding of physics to write an equation.

Can you sketch a v-t diagram of the motion?
Can you draw a free-body diagram for the forces on the car?
Do you know the coefficient of kinetic friction for the surfaces involved?

Tiny-tim, but how? ;)) a little more help please or direction to go! I've been struggling with this one half the night

What is the relationship between friction force, ##\mu_k## and acceleration?
Hint: Newton's laws.

This is why you want the fbd.

tratata said:
Tiny-tim, but how? ;)) a little more help please or direction to go! I've been struggling with this one half the night

exam questions usually tell you everything you need to know

if you can't see what the answer is, go back to fundamentals and ask yourself what everything in the question means

in this case, what is meant by the coefficient of friction?

it's the … ? :smile:

Simon: a=μk*g? ;)

acceleration is a vector :)
if the pickup starts out moving in the +x direction, then ##a=-\mu_k g##.
but you should not just present someone with your end result - show your reasoning.

Would the deceleration be constant or would it change?
Can you sketch a velocity-time graph of the motion?

Related to Friction: decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete

1. What is friction and how does it affect a decelerating vehicle?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. In the case of a decelerating vehicle, friction is the force that acts in the opposite direction of the vehicle's motion and helps slow it down.

2. How does the type of surface affect friction for a decelerating vehicle?

The type of surface, such as dry or wet concrete, can greatly affect the amount of friction experienced by a decelerating vehicle. Dry concrete provides more friction compared to wet concrete due to the presence of water reducing the contact between the surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction for a decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete?

Apart from surface type, other factors that can affect friction for a decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete include the weight of the vehicle, the speed of the vehicle, and the condition of the tires.

4. How can friction be beneficial for a decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete?

Friction is beneficial for a decelerating vehicle as it helps slow down the vehicle and brings it to a stop. It also provides better control and stability for the driver, especially on wet concrete where there is a higher risk of skidding.

5. Is there a limit to how much friction can be generated for a decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete?

Yes, there is a limit to how much friction can be generated for a decelerating vehicle on dry and wet concrete. Once the force of friction exceeds the weight of the vehicle, the tires can start to skid and lose traction, making it difficult to control the vehicle.