Friction of rubber box on concrete floor

In summary: Therefore, the maximum friction force can be calculated using the equation Fsmax = μs * η. In this case, the friction force would be 10 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 1.00 = 98 N. In summary, the friction force on the box is 98 N.
anon3005

Homework Statement

A 10 kg rubber box is resting on a concrete floor. A force of 200 N is then applied to this box in a horizontal direction. What is the magnitude of the friction force on the box?

Homework Equations

This is a question about applying Newton's laws so Fsmax = μs η and η = mg.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had answers -200 N, 98.1N, and 200N in which they are all incorrect. I have an idea it could be 0 N since the net force would have to be 0 since it is at rest and there is a static friction present but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
anon3005 said:

Homework Statement

A 10 kg rubber box is resting on a concrete floor. A force of 200 N is then applied to this box in a horizontal direction. What is the magnitude of the friction force on the box?

Homework Equations

This is a question about applying Newton's laws so Fsmax = μs η and η = mg.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had answers -200 N, 98.1N, and 200N in which they are all incorrect. I have an idea it could be 0 N since the net force would have to be 0 since it is at rest and there is a static friction present but I am not sure.
What is the co-efficient of friction between rubber and concrete? Is that given? If not, I think you should look it up.

cnh1995 said:
What is the co-efficient of friction between rubber and concrete? Is that given? If not, I think you should look it up.

It's 1.00

anon3005 said:
It's 1.00
So what's the equation?

Is the question asking about the friction force before it starts sliding, or after (assuming it slides)?

James R said:
Is the question asking about the friction force before it starts sliding, or after (assuming it slides)?
Given the coefficient of friction, it is safe to assume it slides.

Related to Friction of rubber box on concrete floor

1. What causes friction between a rubber box and a concrete floor?

The friction between a rubber box and a concrete floor is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of both materials. When the rubber box is placed on the concrete floor, the two surfaces come into contact and the irregularities interlock, creating resistance and preventing the box from sliding easily.

2. How does the weight of the rubber box affect the friction on a concrete floor?

The weight of the rubber box does not directly affect the friction on a concrete floor. However, a heavier box may increase the force of its weight and therefore increase the friction between the two surfaces.

3. Does the texture of the concrete floor affect the amount of friction with a rubber box?

Yes, the texture of the concrete floor can affect the amount of friction with a rubber box. A rougher surface will have more microscopic irregularities, resulting in a higher friction force compared to a smoother surface.

4. How does the temperature of the rubber box and concrete floor impact the friction between them?

The temperature of the rubber box and concrete floor can impact the friction between them. As temperature increases, the materials expand, resulting in a larger contact area and therefore more friction. However, at extremely high temperatures, the rubber may start to melt, reducing the friction force.

5. Can the type of rubber affect the amount of friction on a concrete floor?

Yes, the type of rubber can affect the amount of friction on a concrete floor. Different types of rubber have varying coefficients of friction, which determine the amount of resistance between surfaces. Some rubbers may have a higher coefficient of friction, resulting in more friction with a concrete floor.