Standing Waves in a tube closed at both ends

In summary, the conversation discussed the situation of a tube closed at both ends and its similarities to a tube open at both ends. The formula f = v/λ = nv/(2L) was mentioned, and using numeric data, the frequency was calculated to be 340 Hz. However, there was uncertainty and the need for other opinions. The second question involved finding a formula for the dependence between the speed of sound and temperature, but the resulting number was deemed too large. The topic of nodes and antinodes was also brought up, with some confusion about their locations and existence in different scenarios. The conversation ended with a clarification on the concept of nodes and antinodes and a question about the diagram representing the sound waves in a
physicslover2012
Homework Statement
A sound tube, which measures 50 cm, is closed AT BOTH ENDS and has a reed that produces vibrations in the middle. The air is at 0°C and the speed of sound is c= 340 m/s.
a) What is the fundamental frequency of the tub?
b) How much should the air be cooled in order to obtain the next harmonic?
Relevant Equations
λ = v / f
During our classes, we haven't discussed the situation of a tube closed at both ends. But, assuming the position of the nodes and antinodes, I think it's a case similar to the one where the tube is open at both ends, so I think that f = v/λ = nv/(2L). Using the numeric data, my frequency would be 340 Hz. But I am not sure and I need some other opinions. As for the second question, I found a formula online that shows the dependence between the speed of sound and temperature, but using the formula I get an absurdly big number. If you can, please help me understand this particular case!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicslover2012 said:
similar to the one where the tube is open at both ends
Yes, just swapping nodes with antinodes. But you have not taken into account that the sound source is in the middle. I can see why that might change things.. not sure.
physicslover2012 said:
using the formula I get an absurdly big number
Please post your working and result.

haruspex said:
Please post your working and result.
The fundamental frequency I calculated is f=c/(2*l)= 340 Hz. I calculated the next harmonic, which was f1=2*c/(2*l)=680 Hz. Then, I wrote again the formula, using this time another speed: f1=c'/(2*l) From here, I deducted that c'=680 m/s, and I found this formula online: c'=c+0,6*t. From here I deducted the temperature, t=566,66 s. But, to me, it seems a number way too big.
Yes, just swapping nodes with antinodes. But you have not taken into account that the sound source is in the middle. I can see why that might change things.
haruspex said:
Yes, just swapping nodes with antinodes. But you have not taken into account that the sound source is in the middle. I can see why that might change things.. not sure.
I assumed that it was a similar case because we learned that where the reed is situated, there is an antinode.

physicslover2012 said:
From here I deducted the temperature, t=566,66 s.
You have slightly misused the formula. The base speed in that (the c on the right) is at 0C, so is 331m/s. But your answer is about right.
physicslover2012 said:
we learned that where the reed is situated, there is an antinode.
That's what bothered me. If the tube is open at both ends, for a wavelength of 2L, where are the nodes and antinodes?

haruspex said:
You have slightly misused the formula. The base speed in that (the c on the right) is at 0C, so is 331m/s. But your answer is about right.
In the problem, it was assumed that at 0C, the speed of sound is 340 m/s. I also found out that the speed of sound at 0C is 331, so I think it is a mistake on the teachers' part.
haruspex said:
That's what bothered me. If the tube is open at both ends, for a wavelength of 2L, where are the nodes and antinodes?
If the tube is open at both ends, we have the antinodes at the ends of the tube. I watched an online lesson where the subject of a tube closed at both ends was discussed, and, despite the fact that practically it isn't possible to exist (since the sound must exit the tube somewhere), the teacher used this graphic for the waves: download.png
Technically, if the sound starts in the middle, I thought that there would be antinodes that go both ways, thus making a full form.

physicslover2012 said:
In the problem, it was assumed that at 0C
Sorry, I missed that.
physicslover2012 said:
despite the fact that practically it isn't possible to exist (since the sound must exit the tube somewhere)
You maybe misunderstand what nodes and antinodes are. A node is where the displacement amplitude of the oscillating molecules is zero (and correspondingly where the pressure amplitude is max). At an antinode, displacement amplitude is max and pressure variation is zero.
At a closed end the molecules have nowhere to move, so that's a node; at an open end they can move freely but are at constant pressure. (In practice, the pressure variation extends a bit beyond the end, leading to a slightly longer effective tube length.)
physicslover2012 said:
I thought that there would be antinodes that go both ways,
In the diagrams, an antinode is not a shape; it is the point where the curved lines are furthest apart. They don't "go" anywhere.
physicslover2012 said:
If the tube is open at both ends, we have the antinodes at the ends of the tube.
Yes, but in the question you also have an antinode in the middle. So what does the diagram look like?

Related to Standing Waves in a tube closed at both ends

1. What are standing waves in a tube closed at both ends?

Standing waves in a tube closed at both ends are a type of sound wave that is confined within a tube with fixed boundaries at both ends. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes, where the particles of air vibrate in a stationary pattern.

2. How do standing waves in a tube closed at both ends differ from other sound waves?

Standing waves in a tube closed at both ends differ from other sound waves in that they are confined within a specific space and do not travel in a specific direction. They also have specific patterns of nodes and antinodes, unlike other sound waves that may have varying frequencies and wavelengths.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves in a tube closed at both ends?

The formation of standing waves in a tube closed at both ends is affected by the length of the tube, the speed of sound in the medium, and the frequency of the sound wave. These factors determine the distance between nodes and antinodes and the overall pattern of the standing wave.

4. What is the significance of standing waves in a tube closed at both ends?

Standing waves in a tube closed at both ends have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments like flutes and organ pipes. They also help us understand the behavior of sound waves and the concept of resonance, which is important in fields like acoustics and engineering.

5. Can standing waves in a tube closed at both ends be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, standing waves in a tube closed at both ends can be manipulated or controlled by changing the length of the tube, the frequency of the sound wave, or the speed of sound in the medium. This allows for the creation of different patterns and frequencies of standing waves, which can be used for various purposes in different fields.