Frequency changes in respect to moving sources and observers

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in frequencies of a train moving at a constant velocity and blowing its horn. The frequency heard by those on the train station is f1= f/(1-(Vs/Vsound)) when the train is approaching and f1= f/(1+(Vs/Vsound)) when receding. The question is raised about the sound heard by people on the train, and it is determined that they would hear the same frequency emitted by the train.
Aphrael
I am a little confused about the change in frequencies. I am working on a problem involving a train. The train is moving at a constant velocity and blows its horn at a certain frequency.

I know that the frequency heard by those on the train station will be f1= f/(1-(Vs/Vsound)) when the train is approaching the station where Vs is the constant spead of the train and Vsound is the speed of sound.

I also know that the frequency heard by those on the train station will be f1= f/(1+(Vs/Vsound)) when the train is receding from the station.

However, what is the sound heard by the people on the train. I thinking that as the passengers are moving at the same velocity as the train they would therefore hear the frequency the train was emitting. Is this correct and if not where am I going wrong in my thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is indeed correct.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

As an expert in the field of sound and frequency, I can confirm that your understanding of the frequency changes in respect to moving sources and observers is correct. When the train is approaching the station, the frequency heard by those on the train station will be higher than the frequency emitted by the train due to the Doppler effect. This is because the sound waves are being compressed as the train moves towards the observer, resulting in a shorter wavelength and higher frequency. This can be calculated using the equation you mentioned, f1= f/(1-(Vs/Vsound)).

Similarly, when the train is receding from the station, the frequency heard by those on the train station will be lower than the frequency emitted by the train. This is because the sound waves are being stretched as the train moves away from the observer, resulting in a longer wavelength and lower frequency. This can be calculated using the equation f1= f/(1+(Vs/Vsound)).

As for the sound heard by the people on the train, you are correct in thinking that they would hear the frequency emitted by the train. This is because they are moving at the same velocity as the train, so the sound waves are not affected by the Doppler effect. The frequency they hear will be the same as the frequency emitted by the train, f.

I hope this clarifies any confusion you had about the change in frequencies. The Doppler effect is a well-studied phenomenon in physics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of sound waves in relation to moving sources and observers. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Frequency changes in respect to moving sources and observers

1. How does the frequency of a sound wave change when the source is moving towards the observer?

As the source of a sound wave moves towards the observer, the frequency of the wave increases. This is known as the Doppler effect. The closer the source gets to the observer, the higher the frequency becomes.

2. Does the frequency of a sound wave change when the observer is moving towards the source?

Yes, when the observer moves towards the source of a sound wave, the frequency also increases due to the Doppler effect. The closer the observer gets to the source, the higher the frequency becomes.

3. How does the frequency of a sound wave change when the source is moving away from the observer?

When the source of a sound wave moves away from the observer, the frequency decreases. This is because the sound waves are stretched out, causing them to have a longer wavelength and lower frequency.

4. Does the frequency of a sound wave change when the observer is moving away from the source?

Yes, when the observer moves away from the source of a sound wave, the frequency also decreases due to the stretching of the sound waves. The further the observer gets from the source, the lower the frequency becomes.

5. How does the speed of the source or observer affect the frequency of a sound wave?

The speed of the source or observer does not directly affect the frequency of a sound wave. However, their relative speed and direction of motion can impact the perceived frequency due to the Doppler effect.