Fourier Transforms, Green's function, Helmholtz

In summary: It must be ##\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0## in all places. So you should use the same notation for the delta function in the Fourier transforms.
ognik

Homework Statement

I've gotten myself mixed up here , appreciate some insights ...

Using Fourier Transforms, shows that Greens function satisfying the nonhomogeneous Helmholtz eqtn
$$ \left(\nabla ^2 +k_0^2 \right) G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) \:is\: G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= \frac{1}{{2\pi}^{3}} \int \frac{e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}}{k^2 - k_0^2} d^3k $$

Homework Equations

$$ \left(\nabla ^2 +k_0^2 \right) G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the Fourier Transforms:
LHS: $$F\left[ \nabla^2G+k_0^2 G \right] = (- k^2 +k_0^2) \hat{u} $$
RHS: $$F\left[ -\delta (\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2}) \right] = - \int 1 e^{-i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} d^3r $$

$$ \therefore \hat{u} = \int \frac{1}{(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} d^3r = \frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})}$$

$$ \therefore G(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2})= F^{-1} \left[\frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} \right] = \frac{1}{{(2\pi)}^{3}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{ik(k^2 - k_0^2)} e^{i\vec{k}.(\vec{r_1} -\vec{r_2})} e^{ik.r}d^3k$$

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you must decide which variable you are keeping fixed in your Fourier transformation. In this case, the PDE is in terms of ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2## is a constant. You may want to call them ##\vec r## and ##\vec r_0## instead to emphasise this.

Second, the Fourier transform of the delta function is not an integral - or rather, it is an integral which is trivial to perform. Because of your notation, it is unclear what you mean by the integral you give. The Fourier transform you should be interested in is
$$
F[-\delta(\vec r - \vec r')] = -\int e^{-i \vec k\cdot \vec r} \delta(\vec r - \vec r') dV = - e^{-i\vec k \cdot \vec r'}.
$$
You should be able to take it from there.

Awesome, thanks, I clearly need to better understand about the variables in play - may I please get some confirmation of what I have absorbed ...using r1 and r0 as you suggested - and I think r, r1 & r0 are all vectors?

The formula I have for a 3D FT is $$ F[f(r)] ≡ f ̃(ω)= ∫_{-∞}^∞ f(r) e^{-iω.r} d^3 r $$

In the above problem (I'm a bit mixed up, sorry) should I be using r or r1?

Then you use r and r' for the FT of \delta, shouldn't that (for this problem) be $$ F[-\delta (r_1 - r_0)]=- \int e^{-ik.r} \delta (r_{1} - r_{0})] d^3r = e^{-ik.r} $$
(and I think I want the r in the exponent to be r0?)

For the inverse transform, I have $$ F^{-1} [\tilde{f} (ω)] ≡ f (r)= \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} ∫_{-∞}^∞ \tilde{f}(\omega) e^{+iω.r} d^3 \omega $$

What lead to this doubt was I could see that the (r1 - r0) emerged from the product of the 2 exponents, but I keep mixing up r, r1 & r0 - so would prefer to be certain and not guess. Thanks again, important for me this.

Hi would really appreciate if someone could briefly check my thoughts above - let me know if they're right, let me know what's wrong ...thanks

ognik said:
Awesome, thanks, I clearly need to better understand about the variables in play - may I please get some confirmation of what I have absorbed ...using r1 and r0 as you suggested - and I think r, r1 & r0 are all vectors?
Actually, he suggested you use ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}_0## instead of ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, so the original equation becomes
$$(\nabla^2 + k_0^2)G(\vec{r},\vec{r_0}) = -\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0).$$ Clearly, ##\vec{r}## is the variable, so multiply both sides by ##e^{-i \vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}}## and integrate to compute the Fourier transforms.

The formula I have for a 3D FT is $$ F[f(r)] ≡ f ̃(ω)= ∫_{-∞}^∞ f(r) e^{-iω.r} d^3 r $$

In the above problem (I'm a bit mixed up, sorry) should I be using r or r1?

Then you use r and r' for the FT of \delta, shouldn't that (for this problem) be $$ F[-\delta (r_1 - r_0)]=- \int e^{-ik.r} \delta (r_{1} - r_{0})] d^3r = e^{-ik.r} $$
(and I think I want the r in the exponent to be r0?)

For the inverse transform, I have $$ F^{-1} [\tilde{f} (ω)] ≡ f (r)= \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} ∫_{-∞}^∞ \tilde{f}(\omega) e^{+iω.r} d^3 \omega $$

What lead to this doubt was I could see that the (r1 - r0) emerged from the product of the 2 exponents, but I keep mixing up r, r1 & r0 - so would prefer to be certain and not guess. Thanks again, important for me this.

Thanks Vela, indeed Orodruin did, and I am not seeing my r's clearly, but for the delta function part he used r and r'... should I instead use r and ##r_0##?

Just be consistent. What's the argument of the delta function in
$$(\nabla^2 + k_0^2)G(\vec{r},\vec{r_0}) = -\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)?$$

Related to Fourier Transforms, Green's function, Helmholtz

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It takes a function in the time or spatial domain and converts it into a function in the frequency domain. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of complex signals, such as sound waves or digital images.

2. How is a Fourier Transform used in science?

Fourier Transforms are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in signal processing and image analysis, where they can be used to filter out noise and extract important features. They also play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and electromagnetics.

3. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical function that represents the response of a linear system to an impulse. It is named after mathematician George Green and is often used in solving differential equations. In physics, Green's functions are particularly useful in solving problems involving electromagnetics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is a Green's function related to Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It is often used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and heat transfer. Green's functions can be used to solve the Helmholtz equation by representing the response of the system to a point source.

5. What are some real-world applications of Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used to model the behavior of sound waves in musical instruments, the propagation of electromagnetic waves in communication devices, and the distribution of heat in materials. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI scans, and in the study of ocean waves and seismic activity.