Found a math equation graffitied on a wall. What's it trying to say?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a complex mathematical graffiti on a wall in Melbourne and the curiosity surrounding its meaning and purpose. The equations appear to have a connection to thermodynamics and the person is wondering about the motivation behind creating such a piece of art.
Tonber
Hello everyone, longtime reader, first time poster.

A friend and I discovered this piece of math graffitied on an obscure laneway wall in Melbourne. I find it a bit mindblowing that someone would go to all this effort, particularly in a place where very few people are going to see it. As you can see from the video, it is quite neat and meticulously done.

I understand parts of it, there are some parts I don't understand, but really I have two major questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1. What is it trying to say overall. What is all this math 'for'?

2. (Bonus marks) What drove this person to do this?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks a bit like thermodynamics, but I don't recognize the equations.

##\frac{d[\ln(n)]}{dn}=\frac{1}{n}##

##d[\ln(P)]=-\sum_j [\ln(n_j)+1] dn_j## => ##\sum_j dn_j = 0## and ##\sum_j u_j dn = 0##
=> ##d[\ln(P)]=\sum [-\ln(n_j)+a-1+bu_j]dn_j=0##
=> ##-\ln(n_j)+a-1+bu_j=0## or ##n_j=\epsilon^{a-1+bu_j}=\epsilon^{a-1}\epsilon^{bu_j}=A\epsilon^{bu_j}##
[Based on the structure, those formulas would be equivalent without the minus sign and if ##\epsilon=e##.]
=> ##\ln(n_j)+a-1+bu_j## (that is not an equation)

1:45-2:42 is some messy sketch.

Related to Found a math equation graffitied on a wall. What's it trying to say?

1. What does the math equation on the wall mean?

The math equation may represent a specific concept or formula related to mathematics. It could also be a symbolic representation of a larger idea, such as the importance of logic and problem-solving skills.

2. Who wrote the math equation on the wall?

It is impossible to determine who wrote the math equation without further information. It could have been written by a mathematician, a student, or even a passerby with an interest in math.

3. Is the math equation on the wall significant or just random graffiti?

Without more context, it is difficult to determine the significance of the math equation on the wall. However, the fact that it is a mathematical equation suggests that it may have some meaning or purpose.

4. Can you solve the math equation on the wall?

As a scientist, I am trained in various scientific fields, including mathematics. However, without knowing the context and variables involved in the equation, it is impossible for me to solve it accurately.

5. Why would someone graffiti a math equation on a wall?

There could be various reasons why someone would choose to graffiti a math equation on a wall. It could be a form of artistic expression, a way to showcase their knowledge or interest in math, or a message to promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills.