Formatting Quotes: How It's Done

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to use quote formatting in a forum. One method is to use the "Reply" link and another is to copy and paste the desired text and add quotation tags.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I was quoting an external source and a moderator put it in quote format. How is this done?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is like this (but without the spaces):

[ quote=xxxx ] <stuff> [ /quote ]

You don't need the =xxxx if you have said ahead of time where the quote is from...

Likes Frabjous
caz said:
I was quoting an external source and a moderator put it in quote format. How is this done?
The result above was done through click on the Reply link.
caz said:
The next quote above was done by highlighting the part wished to be quoted, and choosing the 'reply' choice from the popup menu which contained '+quote|reply'.
This next one is done by highlighting what I wish to quote but rightclick and choose 'copy', and then paste into the composition field, and then put in the quotation tags.

What is the purpose of formatting quotes?

The purpose of formatting quotes is to make them stand out from the rest of the text and to give credit to the original source. It also helps to maintain consistency and readability in written work.

What are the different ways to format quotes?

There are several ways to format quotes, including using quotation marks, italics, or block quotes. The choice of formatting style depends on the citation style being used and the length of the quote.

When should I use quotation marks for a quote?

Quotation marks should be used for shorter quotes, typically less than four lines. They should also be used when directly quoting someone's words or when using a phrase or word in a specific context.

What is the purpose of using italics for a quote?

Italics are used for longer quotes, typically more than four lines. They are also used for titles of books, articles, or other works when mentioned in the text. Italics help to differentiate the quote from the rest of the text and make it easier to read.

When should I use a block quote?

A block quote should be used for longer quotes, typically more than four lines. It is indented from the rest of the text and does not require quotation marks or italics. Block quotes are used to highlight important or lengthy passages and to break up the text for easier reading.