PF Video Formats: Converting for Posting on PF

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, PF does not accept videos. There are methods to convert videos to accepted PF formats, but they are not perfect and require tools like ffmpeg and avidemux. Another option is to post videos on YouTube and include embedded media players.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@Greg Bernhardt I forgot what video formats PF accepts. Wanting to post a .mp4 video and looking for a converter to convert to an accepted PF format

Physics news on Phys.org
I can be wrong, but I don't think PF accepts videos, it accepts media links to sites like youtube (so if you upload your video to YT you will be able to post it here using embedded media player).

For format conversion and repacking I am using ffmpeg (command line and often tricky) and avidemux. Both free, neither perfect.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Borek said:
I can be wrong, but I don't think PF accepts videos, it accepts media links to sites like youtube (so if you upload your video to YT you will be able to post it here using embedded media player).

For format conversion and repacking I am using ffmpeg (command line and often tricky) and avidemux. Both free, neither perfect.
Thanks @Borek but I don't have a YT account.

dlgoff said:
Thanks @Borek but I don't have a YT account.
It's fast and easy to open one, at least it used to be.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
You log into YouTube with your Google account.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Borek said:
Neither of these worked.

Just Youtube, sign up, very easy, let me know if you need help :)

Last edited:
Another person offered to use their G. account to post on YT, so I emailed the video to them and it got done.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Just Youtube, sign up, very easy, let me know if you need help :)
Well, I did try to sign up. But I couldn't get it to work.

dlgoff said:
Well, I did try to sign up. But I couldn't get it to work.
PM me your gmail address and I can setup a Google Meet so I can help.

Likes symbolipoint, Wrichik Basu and berkeman
@Greg Bernhardt
I haven't been able to get a gmail address. That's the problem. They want a phone to send a text message and I don't have a smart phone.

There are alternatives to texts.

1626737857799.png

Edit: more info at
https://www.google.com/landing/2step/#tab=how-it-works

Likes Greg Bernhardt
anorlunda said:
There are alternatives to texts.

View attachment 286227
I'll look into the landline phone for a verification code. But it will have to wait until tomorrow. Thank You

It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead. But you may need to look in the fine print to find it, they prefer that everyone use 2-factor.

dlgoff said:
@Greg Bernhardt
I haven't been able to get a gmail address. That's the problem. They want a phone to send a text message and I don't have a smart phone.
You don't need a smart phone. A phone that can receive texts will suffice.

StevieTNZ said:
You don't need a smart phone. A phone that can receive texts will suffice.
Did you not understand? I don't have a phone to receive any text messages. OKay?

dlgoff said:
Did you not understand? I don't have a phone to receive any text messages. OKay?
Right, well say that. Not use 'smart phone'.

StevieTNZ said:
Right, well say that. Not use 'smart phone'.
Okay, you are right. I was thinking of a conversation with @Greg Bernhardt where I had said:
One problem is that it asked where to send a text message. I don't have a phone to get a text message on.
Sorry.

Likes Tom.G
anorlunda said:
It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead. But you may need to look in the fine print to find it, they prefer that everyone use 2-factor.
That didn't work either. I give up.

anorlunda said:
It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead.

It's still true. . . I just logged in, and logged back out.

1626799628706.png

OCR said:
It's still true. . . I just logged in, and logged back out.

View attachment 286267

That is just an image. There's no link.

@dlgoff , did you try today to get the code verbally over your existing phone?

anorlunda said:
@dlgoff , did you try today to get the code verbally over your existing phone?
Yes. The link didn't work.
It still wanted to leave a text message. Nothing voice wise.

@anorlunda

I've decided to not to even try to post any videos on PF.

• Sad
Likes anorlunda and Wrichik Basu
dlgoff said:
@Greg Bernhardt
A 'dumb' phone could work for verification if you have one, as long as it can accept text messages and as long as your plan includes text messaging.

dlgoff said:
You specified "smartphone".
Fast many posts on this today, but caught myself up quickly.

I am interested to know if anyone has/have tried using some online virtual phone number to use for Google account creation verification? Successfully?

symbolipoint said:
A 'dumb' phone could work for verification if you have one, as long as it can accept text messages and as long as your plan includes text messaging.
I only have an analog phone on a land line. It doesn't even have any kind of display.

dlgoff said:
I only have an analog phone on a land line. It doesn't even have any kind of display.
Not was not what I meant. Has any forum member ever tried using an online free virtual phone number to verify a Google account for account creation?

symbolipoint said:
Not was not what I meant. Has any forum member ever tried using an online free virtual phone number to verify a Google account for account creation?
from post #28
I thought "A 'dumb' phone could work for verification" meant an analog phone.

bold by me

dlgoff said:
from post #28
I thought "A 'dumb' phone could work for verification" meant an analog phone.

bold by me
Let me clarify.

One can use a basic flip phone to receive a verification code for creating a Google account. Although a smartphone could be used, that is not necessary. Now your posts are clearer, too. You really do want to be able to receive a spoken code for verification through your home landline telephone. I do not know how well that works for Google account verification, but I am aware that kind of verification code receipt does work for some types of account (but just not sure how good they are with Google).

Likes dlgoff
To make things simpler even more confusing some telecoms offer a text message over the dial phone - the message is read to you over the line by their computer.

1. What are the most common video formats for posting on PF?

The most common video formats for posting on PF are MP4, MOV, and AVI. These formats are widely supported by most devices and browsers, making them ideal for sharing on a platform like PF.

2. How do I convert my video to a PF-friendly format?

To convert your video to a PF-friendly format, you can use a free online converter or a video editing software. Simply upload your video and select the desired format, then download the converted file.

3. Can I upload high-quality videos on PF?

Yes, you can upload high-quality videos on PF. However, keep in mind that the larger the file size, the longer it will take to upload and the more storage space it will consume on the platform.

4. Is there a limit to the size of videos I can upload on PF?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of videos you can upload on PF. The maximum file size allowed is usually 1GB, but it may vary depending on your account type and the platform's storage capacity.

5. Can I upload videos in any aspect ratio on PF?

While PF supports various aspect ratios, it is recommended to upload videos in a 16:9 aspect ratio for optimal viewing on most devices. This is the standard aspect ratio for most videos and will ensure your content looks its best on PF.