Forced Frequency Homework: Which of These Acts as a Force?

In summary, the three situations described all involve external forces acting on the oscillations, making them forced frequencies. These forces include the pendulum skimming the surface of water, a bell ringer pulling on a bell rope to keep a bell ringing, and a singer shattering a glass with their voice. Although the pendulum's initial conditions allow it to continue oscillating indefinitely, the contact with water at its lowest point changes the motion. Similarly, the glass would not vibrate unless a forcing function, like the sound from the singer, was applied.
Redjakk1

Homework Statement

Which of the following is a forced frequency acting on the oscillations?

I. A pendulum skims the surface of a pool of water at the lowest point of motion.
II. To keep a bell ringing, a bell ringer pulls on a bell rope.
III. A singer shatters a glass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess would be all 3 as each of these situations has an external force. But I'm not quite sure as I read an example saying that the singer situation would be mechanical resonance. Does that mean it's still forced frequency? Also, I'm unsure as to whether the first situation is referring to the waves which result from the pendulum (I don't think so) or the oscillations of just the pendulum. In that case, I think the answers would be I and II. I just don't really understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redjakk1 said:

Homework Statement

Which of the following is a forced frequency acting on the oscillations?

I. A pendulum skims the surface of a pool of water at the lowest point of motion.
II. To keep a bell ringing, a bell ringer pulls on a bell rope.
III. A singer shatters a glass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess would be all 3 as each of these situations has an external force. But I'm not quite sure as I read an example saying that the singer situation would be mechanical resonance. Does that mean it's still forced frequency? Also, I'm unsure as to whether the first situation is referring to the waves which result from the pendulum (I don't think so) or the oscillations of just the pendulum. In that case, I think the answers would be I and II. I just don't really understand.
Right, all three.
The pendulum swings due to initial condition(s), e.g. a finite displacement & then let go. It would continue swinging (assuming no friction) the same way forever. However, since the pendulum touches water at its low point that forces a change to the oscillatory motion.
The sound applies a forcing function to the glass, otherwise it would not vibrate unless again a finite initial condition were imposed, e.g. the glass is stresses (bent) and then let go.

rude man said:
Right, all three.
The pendulum swings due to initial condition(s), e.g. a finite displacement & then let go. It would continue swinging (assuming no friction) the same way forever. However, since the pendulum touches water at its low point that forces a change to the oscillatory motion.
The sound applies a forcing function to the glass, otherwise it would not vibrate unless again a finite initial condition were imposed, e.g. the glass is stresses (bent) and then let go.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I understand it a lot better now.

Related to Forced Frequency Homework: Which of These Acts as a Force?

1. What is forced frequency homework?

Forced frequency homework is a type of homework assignment that involves analyzing and understanding forces acting on objects. It typically involves solving problems and equations to determine the forces involved in a given scenario.

2. How is forced frequency homework different from regular homework?

Forced frequency homework is specifically focused on the concept of forces, while regular homework may cover a variety of topics. It requires a thorough understanding of concepts such as Newton's laws of motion and vector analysis.

3. What are some real-world applications of forced frequency homework?

Forced frequency homework is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can help predict the behavior of objects in motion, design structures to withstand forces, and understand how forces affect everyday objects.

4. What are some common types of forces that may be studied in forced frequency homework?

Some common types of forces that are often studied in forced frequency homework include gravity, friction, tension, and normal forces. These forces can act on objects in different ways and understanding them is crucial in solving force-related problems.

5. How can I prepare for forced frequency homework assignments?

To prepare for forced frequency homework, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic physics concepts such as mass, acceleration, and velocity. It may also be helpful to practice solving force-related problems and familiarize yourself with common formulas and equations used in forced frequency homework.