Force of Gravity Between Proton & Electron in Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force of gravity between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom using the equation F = Gm1 * m2/r^2. The values of the mass of a proton, mass of an electron, distance, and gravitational constant are provided, and the resulting answer is ≈ 3.61 * 10^-47. The speaker asks for confirmation or correction of their answer and mentions using WolframAlpha for assistance.
lxXTaCoXxl
I started pondering random thoughts earlier today and this was one of them; what is the force of gravity between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom? Using the equation to find this force (F = G[itex]\frac{}m[itex]_{}1[/itex] * m[itex]_{}2[/itex]{}r[itex]^{}2[/itex][/itex]) I came up with my answer. However I wanted to ensure that my math was correct (and values for that matter) so I came here to ask.

Mass of a Proton ≈ 1.67 * 10[itex]^{}-27[/itex]kg
Mass of an Electron ≈ 9.1 * 10[itex]^{}-31[/itex]kg
Distance ≈ 0.53 * 10[itex]^{}-10[/itex]m

Knowing that the gravitational constant is 6.667300 * 10[itex]^{}-11[/itex]N-m[itex]^{}2[/itex]/kg[itex]^{}2[/itex] I did the math and came up with ≈ 3.61 * 10[itex]^{}-47[/itex]. Can someone confirm or deny this answer for me, and if it is wrong break down the math so I can get the correct values on my next calculation.

Thanks,
Taco

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Force of Gravity Between Proton & Electron in Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the force of gravity between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom?

The force of gravity between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom is incredibly small, approximately 10-47 Newtons. This is because the force of gravity is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them, and the masses of a proton and electron are incredibly small compared to the distances between them in an atom.

2. How does the force of gravity between a proton and electron affect the stability of a hydrogen atom?

The force of gravity between a proton and electron is not a significant factor in determining the stability of a hydrogen atom. The primary force that holds the atom together is the electromagnetic force, which is much stronger than the force of gravity. Additionally, the small size of the atom and the fact that the electron is constantly in motion make the force of gravity negligible.

3. Does the force of gravity between a proton and electron change as the distance between them changes?

Yes, the force of gravity between a proton and electron changes as the distance between them changes. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between a proton and electron in a hydrogen atom increases, the force of gravity between them decreases.

4. How does the force of gravity between a proton and electron compare to the other forces in an atom?

The force of gravity between a proton and electron is significantly weaker than the other forces in an atom. As mentioned before, the electromagnetic force is much stronger and responsible for holding the atom together. Additionally, the strong and weak nuclear forces, which are responsible for nuclear interactions, are also much stronger than the force of gravity.

5. Can the force of gravity between a proton and electron be ignored in atomic interactions?

Yes, the force of gravity between a proton and electron can be ignored in atomic interactions. This is because the force of gravity is so incredibly small compared to the other forces at play. In fact, scientists often ignore the force of gravity in atomic and subatomic interactions and instead focus on the stronger forces such as the electromagnetic and nuclear forces.