Anti Proton - Non Proton reaction

In summary: Helium.In summary, an anti hydrogen atom will collide with other atoms and create radiation. This radiation can be used to produce propulsion or energy.
Sebastiaan
Alright, I have a basic understanding about anti hydrogen - hydrogen annihilation reaction. But what exactly happens if an anti hydrogen atom stumbles into anything else like a deuterium, tritium of helium atom?

From my limited understanding, antimatter can only react with its anti-particle. So if a single anti hydrogen strikes a helium 4 atom, the anti proton reacts with a proton in the helium core and it positron reacts with an electron in the helium. The remainder, a proton with 2 neutron and 1 electron (=Tritium atom) should fly away the opposite direction. Correct?

If so, would this be a usefull property which we can use for propulsion/energy production. Instead of a neutral Helium, we could strip the outer electron, and the antimatter reaction would be (besides the standard propton antimatter product) be a highly directed tritium ion, which we could directly use for propulsion using a magnetic nozzle, correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of the constraint that a particle can only annihilate with its anti counterpart. The way I understand it, particle reactions work kinda like one of those chemistry equations, where what comes out "simply" needs to satisfy certain conservation laws (total charge stays the same, total energy, momentum etc), and that output is a combination of various particles and radiation.

So, in your scenario, a stray electron might very well annihilate one of the antiquarks inside the antiproton, resulting in radiation and remaining free antiquarks that quickly decay themselves (just an example that might very well be wrong, but I think it gets the idea across).

rumborak said:
So, in your scenario, a stray electron might very well annihilate one of the antiquarks inside the antiproton, resulting in radiation and remaining free antiquarks that quickly decay themselves (just an example that might very well be wrong, but I think it gets the idea across).

From my understanding, this is possible but unlikely and antiproton most likely reacts with subatomic opposite particle, which is another proton. Now the question is, would a helium atom explode (in 2 nasty neutrons + 1 proton) or stay together as a single atom (which would be tritium).

The difference is important to me because I need to answer if I can only use Hydrogen to ignite antimatter, or can I also me easy storable stuff

Last edited:

1. What is an anti-proton?

An anti-proton is a subatomic particle with the same mass as a proton but with the opposite charge. It is the antimatter counterpart of a proton.

2. What is a non-proton reaction?

A non-proton reaction refers to a reaction that involves particles other than protons. This can include anti-protons, electrons, and other subatomic particles.

3. How do anti-protons and protons react?

When an anti-proton and a proton come into contact, they annihilate each other and produce energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as an anti-proton - proton reaction.

4. What is the significance of anti-proton - proton reactions?

Anti-proton - proton reactions are important in the study of antimatter and the fundamental forces of the universe. They can also be used in the production of high-energy particles for research and medical purposes.

5. Can anti-proton - proton reactions occur naturally?

No, anti-proton - proton reactions do not occur naturally on Earth. They can only be created in a laboratory setting with the use of particle accelerators.