Force Applied onto a Mounting Hole

In summary: Then limit these calculated stresses to 40% of the yield strength of the plate (typical for shear). In summary, the bearing stress is unlikely to exceed 40% of the yield strength of the plate, while the shear tear out stress is likely to exceed 40% of the yield strength of the plate.
numenor260
Hi everyone:

I have an 0.1" thick aluminum plate. I am mounting a component to the plate using four 8-32 screws.

During use, this component will see a torque of about 35 Ib.in applied onto a shaft that is connected to it.

How do I determine the force that is applied onto the four mounting holes?

I really want to make sure the plate thickness is sufficient.

Thank you for any guidance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming the screw holes are symmetrically arranged around the shaft's center-line at a radius of 'r', then the load on each would be Force = Torque / (r*4 holes). That assumes the forces on the screws will be equally divided, which is not likely. A more reasonable assumption would be to assume that only 2 screws react the torque, then the Force = Torque / (r*2 holes).

Once you have found this force, you can check if the plate is thick enough (and the holes are far enough away from the edge) by computing the "bearing stress" and the "shear tear out" stress. Let me know if you need any help with these.

edgepflow said:
Once you have found this force, you can check if the plate is thick enough (and the holes are far enough away from the edge) by computing the "bearing stress" and the "shear tear out" stress. Let me know if you need any help with these.

Thanks very much for your response. Yes, I would like help with this.

DickL said:
Assuming the screw holes are symmetrically arranged around the shaft's center-line at a radius of 'r', then the load on each would be Force = Torque / (r*4 holes). That assumes the forces on the screws will be equally divided, which is not likely. A more reasonable assumption would be to assume that only 2 screws react the torque, then the Force = Torque / (r*2 holes).

Thanks for your response. The hole are only symmetric about the horizontal axis.

numenor260 said:
Thanks very much for your response. Yes, I would like help with this.

Compute the bearing stress as follows:

bearing stress = force / ( screw diameter X plate thickness)

Compute the shear tear out stress as follows:

shear tear out stress = force / (2 X plate thickness X distance from hole edge to plate edge)

Then limit these calculated stresses to 40% of the yield stength of the plate (typical for shear).

Related to Force Applied onto a Mounting Hole

What is force applied onto a mounting hole?

Force applied onto a mounting hole refers to the amount of external force that is exerted onto a hole in a mounting surface, such as a wall or panel.

Why is force applied onto a mounting hole important?

Force applied onto a mounting hole is important because it affects the stability and strength of the object being mounted. If too much force is applied, it can cause the mounting hole to become damaged or the object to become unstable.

How is force applied onto a mounting hole measured?

Force applied onto a mounting hole is typically measured in units of pounds (lb) or Newtons (N) using a force gauge or load cell. The amount of force can also be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What factors can affect the amount of force applied onto a mounting hole?

The amount of force applied onto a mounting hole can be affected by several factors, including the weight and dimensions of the object being mounted, the type and condition of the mounting surface, and the type and placement of the mounting hardware.

How can I determine the appropriate amount of force to apply onto a mounting hole?

The appropriate amount of force to apply onto a mounting hole can vary depending on the specific application and materials involved. It is important to consult manufacturer instructions and engineering guidelines to determine the recommended force for a particular mounting hole. Additionally, performing load testing can help determine the appropriate amount of force needed for a secure and stable mount.