Flow Distribution for 850m^3/h Fans in Electrical Machines

In summary, the individual is seeking to use a fan with a maximum air flow of 850m^3/h to cool their electrical machine. They are curious about how the flow will distribute among the stator and rotor ducts and the air-gap, and if there are any equations to calculate this distribution. They also mention using finite element analysis to determine the temperature distribution of the machine. They have additional questions regarding the resistance caused by slot openings in the air-gap and a lack of recent research on this topic. They are seeking to understand the principles behind this phenomenon.
Edwin_Sun
Hi Guys,

I want to use a fan which can move air up to 850m^3/h to cool my electrical machine. I mount the fan at one end, so the air can flow through the stator ducts, rotor ducts and the air-gap. How will the flow distribute among the stator ducts, rotor ducts and the airgap? Are there some equations?

If the flow distribution is known, flow average velocity can be calculated, then Re and the convection heat transfer coefficient h and finally the temperature distribution of the machine can be got by the finite element analysis.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The flow pattern will entirely depend upon the geometry it is flowing through. Once the geometry of flow path is known, an accurate flow pattern can be developed.

Thanks for your reply, ank_gl!

There are also some other questions.

The rotor is rotating in high speed and the speed is not constant. There are a lot of slot openings in the air-gap, and when the rotor rotating, they will cause resistance to the air flow. This may cause a decrease or increase in heat transfer compared to smooth air gaps. I read a lot of papers written around 1990s about such kind of problems, and nobody gave a detail model or accurate conclusion. I can't find such kind of papers written recently, it seems people have lost interest in it. Now, I want to learn the principle behind this.

Related to Flow Distribution for 850m^3/h Fans in Electrical Machines

1. What is flow distribution for 850m^3/h fans in electrical machines?

Flow distribution for 850m^3/h fans in electrical machines refers to the distribution of air flow within the machine to ensure optimal cooling and performance. This is especially important in electrical machines, such as motors and generators, to prevent overheating and damage.

2. Why is flow distribution important in electrical machines?

Flow distribution is important in electrical machines because it helps to regulate the temperature and prevent overheating. This ensures the machine operates efficiently and extends its lifespan.

3. How is flow distribution achieved in electrical machines?

Flow distribution in electrical machines is typically achieved through the use of fans or blowers that circulate air within the machine. The size, placement, and speed of the fans are carefully designed to ensure equal and adequate distribution of air flow.

4. What are the factors that affect flow distribution in electrical machines?

The factors that can affect flow distribution in electrical machines include the design and size of the fans, the placement of the fans within the machine, the speed and direction of the fans, and any obstructions or blockages that may impede air flow.

5. How can I ensure proper flow distribution in my electrical machine?

To ensure proper flow distribution in your electrical machine, it is important to carefully design and select the appropriate fan or blower for the machine. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the fans and air ducts can also help to ensure optimal air flow. Additionally, monitoring the temperature and performance of the machine can help identify any issues with flow distribution that may need to be addressed.