Electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower

In summary, the conversation involves a project related to a wet cooling tower and calculating the electricity consumption of the fan based on parameters such as volume of air handled and air properties. Two formulas are mentioned, one from a .pdf file and another from a website, and the need for an efficiency coefficient is discussed. The conversation also mentions using fan laws to determine the power consumed by the fan at different speeds.
Solibus
Hi everybody!

I'm currently working on a project where a wet cooling tower is involved. The wet cooling tower is an induced draft system. I know the volume of air handled and also the properties of the air entering and leaving the system.

I want to determine the electricity consumption of the fan depending on these parameters.

I have found two formulas. The first comes from the .pdf "SPX - Cooling tower fundamentals", at the page 58, they present several formulas and there is one to calculate the power output of a fan: spxcooling.com/pdf/Cooling-Tower-Fundamentals.pdf‎

aph = ( Q * ht * D ) / (33000 * 12)

where:
aph -> air horsepower
Q -> volume of air handled
ht -> total pressure differential
D -> density of water at gauge fluid temperature

But this formula does not determine the electricity consumption of a fan. But the power output of one. Do you know if I can use an efficiency coefficient to calculate the electricity consumption?

Then, I found this website (http://www-old.me.gatech.edu/energy/beth/four.htm#A2), it gives an equation for the fan horsepower:

hp = A * cfm^B

where:
cfm -> air flow rate in the tower
A and B -> constants which correspond to a particular tower box size

What do you think about this equation? It may work, but I have looked for these two coefficients and I still haven't found them.

Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So currently your problem is once you need the efficiency. Once you get that, you get the answer, right?

I agree with you. However, I'm not sure this formula is the best one and I have no idea about this efficiency. It's for this reason, I posted on this forum. Because, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first person who wants to calculate the electricity consumption of a fan. There is probably a well-known method to do it.

Is my question too vague? Thank you for the feedback.

Not sure if I completely understand your original question, but if you just need to calculate the power consumed by the fan(s), maybe you should just use the fan laws where the power is given by;

Power α ρN^3D^5

So if you know the power consumed by the fan at the nominal rotational speed (should be given in fan catalog), then using the formula above, you can determine the power (in watts) for a given speed which corresponds to the air flow rate through your system.

Related to Electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower

What is electricity consumption?

Electricity consumption refers to the amount of energy used by an electrical device or system. It is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) and is calculated by multiplying the power of the device in kilowatts (kW) by the time it is in use in hours.

How is electricity consumption measured?

Electricity consumption is measured using an electricity meter, which records the amount of electricity flowing through a circuit in kWh. The meter can be read manually or remotely, and the data is used to calculate energy bills.

What factors affect the electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower?

The electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower is affected by several factors, including the size and speed of the fan, the efficiency of the motor, the ambient temperature, and the load on the cooling tower. Other factors such as the design and maintenance of the cooling tower can also impact electricity consumption.

How does the electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower impact overall energy usage?

The electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower can have a significant impact on overall energy usage, especially in industrial settings where cooling towers are used to regulate the temperature of large systems. A more efficient fan can help reduce energy consumption and lower energy costs.

What are some ways to reduce the electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower?

There are several ways to reduce the electricity consumption of a fan in a cooling tower, including using energy-efficient motors, optimizing the fan's size and speed, improving the design and maintenance of the cooling tower, and implementing a control system to regulate the fan's operation based on the cooling tower's load and ambient temperature. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the fan can also help improve its efficiency and reduce energy consumption.