Inductance of a Rotating Machine

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the maximum flux in the air gap and the calculation of the inductance and torque of a device with a stator and rotor with specific dimensions and materials. The expression for inductance as a function of theta is also discussed, as well as the methods for calculating the average and maximum inductance. The conversation ends with a request for assistance in finding the minimum inductance.
AstroFreak

Homework Statement

Screenshot2010-03-06at15658PM.jpg

The stator of the magnetic circuit of the above figure has a coil of turns 200, which carries a current of 1A. The rotor has a radius of 30mm, a height of 30mm and an axial depth of 20mm. The material for the stator and rotor has infinite permeability. The air gap between the stator and the rotor is 0.1mm and increases rapidly outside the overlap.

a) Determine the max. flux in the air gap and obtain an expression for the inductance of the stator coil as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex].

b) Find the max. field energy in each of the air gaps and the corresponding value of [tex]\theta[/tex].

c) Calc. the max. torque of that this device can produce.

Homework Equations

[tex] Ni = H_c l_c + H_g l_g[/tex]

B = [tex]\mu_0 H[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the max flux density in the air gap, I use Ampere's Law:

[tex] Ni = H_c l_c + H_g l_g[/tex]

Since the material of the core has infinite permeability, [tex] H_c = 0 [/tex]

Therefore, [tex]Ni = H_g l_g[/tex] and since [tex] B = \mu_0 H [/tex]

[tex] Ni = \frac{B}{\mu_0} \times 2 l_g [/tex]

I then arrive at this expression:

[tex] B = \frac{Ni\mu_0}{2l_g} [/tex]

Sub. the value of [tex]\mu_0[/tex] and the length of the air-gap (0.1 mm) and the number of turns (200) and I arrive at a value of 1.26T.

The value seems reasonable to me (i have no answers which I can check against).

The next part of the question has me stumped. How do I calc. the inductance of the machine?

I know that there is going to be an average inductance (lets call that [tex]L_0[/tex] and a max. one [tex]L_{max}[/tex]

The inductance as a function of [tex]\theta[/tex] is simply:

[tex]L(\theta) = L_0 + L_{max}cos(2\theta)[/tex]

To compute the expression, I need to find the average inductance (which is simply [tex]\frac{L_{max} - L_{min}}{2}[/tex]) and the max one. How can I go about doing this?

Any help?

I could use max. flux density (found above), with flux linkage as

[tex]\lambda = NBA[/tex] and [tex]L = \frac{\lambda}{i}[/tex]

But this only provides me with [tex]L_{max}[/tex]. How can I go about finding [tex]L_{min}[/tex] in order to find the average inductance and hence the expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone please help me out? I've been at this for the better part of the day and its given me a serious headache.

Related to Inductance of a Rotating Machine

1. What is inductance of a rotating machine?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of a rotating machine to produce an electromotive force (EMF) in response to a changing magnetic field. It is a key parameter in determining the efficiency and performance of a rotating machine.

2. How is the inductance of a rotating machine calculated?

The inductance of a rotating machine is calculated by determining the ratio of the induced EMF to the rate of change of current in the machine. This can be calculated using mathematical equations or through experimental measurements.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a rotating machine?

The inductance of a rotating machine is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the machine's coils, the shape and size of the machine's magnetic core, and the speed and direction of rotation.

4. Why is inductance important in rotating machines?

Inductance is important in rotating machines because it affects the efficiency and performance of the machine. A higher inductance can lead to a higher induced EMF, which in turn can lead to a more efficient machine with better power output. It is also important in controlling the amount of current and voltage in the machine.

5. How can the inductance of a rotating machine be controlled?

The inductance of a rotating machine can be controlled by adjusting the design and parameters of the machine, such as the number of turns in the coils, the magnetic core shape and size, and the speed and direction of rotation. It can also be controlled through the use of external devices, such as capacitors, to modify the magnetic field and thus the inductance of the machine.