Flame colors - where's the chlorine?

• Thread starter wizzart
  • Start date
In summary, an ionic compound produces an atomic spectrum because it splits into separate ions, acquiring an electron from the chlorine.
wizzart
I'm writing a lab for high school students on the emission/absorption spectrum of table salt as part of a larger project to introduce them to quantum mechanics. I'm aware that there are many such lab instructions already, but that's not the point.

While doing some tests and writing the lab instructions, I bumped into some questions that a student might also ask occasionally (one always hopes to have such students).

The spectrum of an ion is different from the spectrum of an atom (I think). When sprinkling table salt into a blue flame, it lights up yellow. This is the same yellow from (atomic) sodium low pressure gas lamps. How does an ionic compound produce an atomic spectrum? I could think of this mechanism:

The salt crystal splits into separate ions, becoming sort of a plasma in the flame, the sodium acquires an electron from the chlorine, takes up heat energy to go to an excited state and emits.

There's definitely a lot of salt residue on the table after sprinkling, so I'm not too sure about the salt crystal disintegrating. As an alternative, maybe the sodium produces an atomic spectrum because it shares an electron with the chlorine. But that would need the assumption that an atomic and molecular spectrum have (partially) the same wavelengths. I don't think that's true.

So what is the exact mechanism/proces happening in the flame? Any or none of the above? I can't think up a quick (table top) experiment to test it, but would like to know.

Finally, these flame test experiments are of course well known and the flame color is associated with the metallic ion in the salt. Most of the commonly used salts contain chlorine. Why do we only see the color of the metallic ions but no contribution from the chlorine? (maybe it's there, but is drowned in intensity by the metals, I haven't been able to check with a spectroscope yet).

The lab can be done without addressing these issues, and that's probably a good idea to not overly confuse the majority of the students. Still, I'd like to include the full mechanism in the teacher's guide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks CWaters. Looks like the explanation I had thought of was pretty close :) Any other references or notes?

1. What causes the different colors in flames?

The colors in flames are caused by the different wavelengths of light emitted by the heated particles in the flame. Each element or compound in the flame produces a different set of wavelengths, resulting in a unique color.

2. Why do some flames have a blue color?

Blue flames are typically the hottest part of a flame, reaching temperatures of over 1,000 degrees Celsius. This is because blue flames are produced by a complete combustion process, where all of the fuel is reacting with oxygen and releasing energy.

3. How does chlorine affect the color of a flame?

Chlorine, when added to a flame, can produce a green or yellow color. This is due to the excited chlorine atoms emitting light at specific wavelengths as they return to their ground state. The exact color depends on the temperature and concentration of chlorine in the flame.

4. Is chlorine always present in colored flames?

No, chlorine is not always present in colored flames. Other elements, such as copper, strontium, or sodium, can also produce distinct colors in flames. The presence of chlorine in a flame will only result in a green or yellow color, while other elements can produce a wider range of colors.

5. Can the color of a flame be used to identify the presence of chlorine in a substance?

Yes, the color of a flame can be used as a qualitative test to determine the presence of chlorine in a substance. However, this method is not always reliable, as other elements can produce similar colors. A more accurate identification of chlorine would require a chemical test.