Fission activity at GCSE level

In summary, the conversation discusses a teacher's request for suggestions on a low-cost activity for teaching nuclear fission to 12th grade students. One suggestion involves using a Geiger counter and LabPro program to detect gamma rays from radioactive metal. It is mentioned that handling fissile material requires a special license, so the teacher clarifies that they do not intend to perform actual fission or fusion in the classroom. Another suggestion is to use ping pong balls to simulate the fission process.
kosher
Dear All
I am trying to do some Nuclear Fission based activity for my 12th grade students at school level. I shall be grateful if some one suggests such a low cast activity to perform at laboratory.
Kind Regards
Kosher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Large metal atoms radioactively decay by alfa, beta and gama radiation into smaller atoms. If you get from you teacher some radioactive metal (it must have very low acitivity so that it doesn't kill you) and you can detect gama particles using Geiger counter (GM counter) and LabPro program. You can connect the GM counter with computer and LabPro program shows you how many gama rays GM counter has registered over a certain period of time.

If you need further instructions email me.

P.S.: I don't supply Uranium 238 or any kind of Polonium, and, of course, no other potenctial means for producing the weapons of mass destruction.

kosher said:
Dear All
I am trying to do some Nuclear Fission based activity for my 12th grade students at school level. I shall be grateful if some one suggests such a low cast activity to perform at laboratory.
Kind Regards
Kosher.
I'm not sure where one is, but in the US, fissile material is considered special nuclear material and requires a special license for individuals and institutions in order to maintain and control such material. I do not see how a high school student will have access to fissile material. There are also similar requirements for handling non-fissile radionuclides as well. I am not aware of any high school that has a license for nuclear material.

Thanks cigster and Astronuc for reply,
But I think I remained unable to convey what I want to say. I do not want to perform in real sense fission or fusion activity in classroom. I want to perform only supposed activity, which resembles like fission process.

Kosher

How about getting a bunch of ping pong balls. Using some glue that is easily removable, lightly (i.e., don't use a lot) glue all the balls except one into a large mass. Then throw the remaining ball at the mass from a distance. You may have to try it several times (throwing the ball harder each time). When the ball breaks apart the mass, that's fission, the fragments are the fission fragments, each with its own energy (governed by conservation laws), and the noise heard is the unrecoverable energy in any fission event (from neutrinos, etc.)

Related to Fission activity at GCSE level

1. What is fission activity?

Fission activity is the process of splitting an atom into two or more smaller atoms, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

2. What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission is the splitting of an atom, while nuclear fusion is the joining of two or more atoms to form a larger one. Fission is the process used in nuclear power plants, while fusion is the process that powers the sun.

3. What are the main components of a nuclear reactor?

A nuclear reactor consists of a fuel source (such as uranium), control rods, a moderator, and a coolant. The fuel source undergoes fission, the control rods regulate the rate of the reaction, the moderator slows down the neutrons, and the coolant removes excess heat from the reaction.

4. What are the risks associated with fission activity?

The main risk associated with fission activity is the potential for a nuclear meltdown, which can release harmful radiation into the environment. There is also the risk of nuclear waste disposal and the possibility of nuclear proliferation.

5. How is fission activity used in nuclear power plants?

In nuclear power plants, fission activity is used to generate heat, which is then used to produce steam to turn turbines and generate electricity. The heat is created by splitting atoms of uranium, which produces a chain reaction that is controlled by control rods.