Fisher's Approximation of a Binomial Distribution

In summary, Fisher's approximation of a binomial distribution is a method used to estimate the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. It is an approximation of the exact binomial distribution and is named after statistician and geneticist Ronald Fisher. It differs from the exact binomial distribution by considering only a simplified formula, making it more efficient for larger numbers of trials and probabilities of success not too close to 0 or 1. The formula for Fisher's approximation is (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of trials, k is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each trial. It is appropriate to use
gajohnson

Homework Statement

Suppose that X is the number of successes in a Binomial experiment with n trials and
probability of success θ/(1+θ), where 0 ≤ θ < ∞. (a) Find the MLE of θ. (b) Use Fisher’s
Theorem to find the approximate distribution of the MLE when n is large.

Homework Equations

Fisher's Approximation in its full form can be see here:

http://grab.by/s1bA

The Attempt at a Solution

The MLE is easy enough to find, but the question I have is one about Fisher's approximation. In the formula for calculating the 1/(tau)^2 portion of the variance, note that you must use the distribution of only one of X1, X2, etc. This makes plenty of sense if you have a collection of some other kinds of i.i.d. variables (normal, exponential, etc.), but what about if you have one binomial experiment made up of n trials?

What does this imply in the binomial case? Do I calculate 1/(tau)^2 using just the entire binomial distribution given in the problem, or do I use something else (one bernoulli trial, maybe)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

In the binomial case, the MLE of θ is given by ^θ = X/n, where X is the number of successes in n trials. To find the approximate distribution of the MLE using Fisher's theorem, we can use the formula:

1/(tau)^2 = nI(θ), where I(θ) is the Fisher information.

In the binomial case, the Fisher information is given by I(θ) = nθ/(1+θ)^2. Therefore, 1/(tau)^2 = nθ/(1+θ)^2. This implies that the approximate distribution of the MLE ^θ is approximately normal with mean θ and variance θ/(1+θ)^2, when n is large.

To clarify, in this case, we use the entire binomial distribution given in the problem to calculate the Fisher information and subsequently the variance of the MLE.

Hope this helps!

Related to Fisher's Approximation of a Binomial Distribution

1. What is Fisher's approximation of a binomial distribution?

Fisher's approximation of a binomial distribution is a statistical method used to estimate the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, given a known probability of success for each trial. It is named after statistician and geneticist Ronald Fisher.

2. How is Fisher's approximation different from the exact binomial distribution?

Fisher's approximation is an approximation of the exact binomial distribution, which can be used when the number of trials is large and the probability of success is not too close to 0 or 1. The exact binomial distribution considers all possible outcomes, while Fisher's approximation uses a simpler formula to estimate the probability of a given number of successes.

3. What is the formula for Fisher's approximation of a binomial distribution?

Fisher's approximation formula is: P(X = k) ≈ (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of trials, k is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each trial.

4. When is it appropriate to use Fisher's approximation?

Fisher's approximation is appropriate to use when the number of trials is large (typically greater than 20) and the probability of success is not too close to 0 or 1. It is also useful when calculating probabilities for multiple values of k, as it is more efficient than using the exact binomial distribution formula for each value.

5. Can Fisher's approximation be used for any type of data?

No, Fisher's approximation is specifically designed for binomial data, which is data that has only two possible outcomes (e.g. success or failure, heads or tails). It is not appropriate to use for continuous or categorical data.