Binomial Distribution Question

In summary, the probability that the batter will get 2 hits or less in a three-game series is 0.168 and the probability that he will get 5 or more hits in a three-game series is 0.276.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A good hitter in baseball has a batting average of .300 which means that the hitter will be successful three times out of 10 tries on average. Assume that the batter has four times at bat per game.a) What is the probability that he will get two hits or less in a three game series?
b) What is the probability that he will get five or more hits in a three-game series?

Homework Equations

Binomial distribution: [tex] P_n(n) = \frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}p^nq^{(N-n)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I use
p = 0.300
q = 0.700
n = 2 hits or less
N = 12 aka total at bats

I solve directly and get an answer of 0.168.

This seems reasonable to me.

Am I using the binomial distribution correctly here? If so, I will proceed to part b.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
I solve directly and get an answer of 0.168.

This seems reasonable to me.

Am I using the binomial distribution correctly here? If so, I will proceed to part b.

Thank you.

Is that for exactly two hits or two hits or fewer?

Did you know that the Excel spreadsheet has a BINOMDIST function?

This is for Two hits or less in 12 at bats.

I was worried about that issue. Would I need to calculate P_12(1) and P_12(0) and add the probabilities together to get the correct answer?

RJLiberator said:
This is for Two hits or less in 12 at bats.

I was worried about that issue. Would I need to calculate P_12(1) and P_12(0) and add the probabilities together to get the correct answer?

Yes, the formula you quoted is for exactly ##n## hits in ##N## trials. To get ##n## or fewer you need the sum of that formula from ##0## to ##n##.

If you have Excel check it out, as you can do "cumulative" = "True" or "False" as required:

=BINOMDIST(2,12,0.3,TRUE)
=BINOMDIST(2,12,0.3,FALSE)

Will give the value for two hits or fewer and two hits exactly respectively.

Allright, so now the answer to A is P_12(2)+P_12(1)+P_12(0) = 0.168+0.014+0.071 = 0.253

This makes more reasonable sense to me and I see how it makes sense with the additions of the probabilities as it relates to the question. Now I will consider part b.

Now that I got the hang of this, this is quite easy (I think).

So for part b, all I did was calculate the probabilities P_12(4) and P_12(3). I used my previous answer in A and summed up these values. I then took 1-this sum and that is the probability that he gets 5 hits or more.

This turned out to be 0.276 which is a reasonable number.

Related to Binomial Distribution Question

What is binomial distribution?

Binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes from a fixed number of independent trials. It is often used to model outcomes of experiments or events that have only two possible outcomes, such as success or failure.

What are the key characteristics of binomial distribution?

The key characteristics of binomial distribution are: it is based on a fixed number of trials, each trial has only two possible outcomes, the probability of success is constant for each trial, and the trials are independent of each other.

How is binomial distribution different from normal distribution?

Binomial distribution is different from normal distribution in that it is discrete rather than continuous. This means that the outcomes are counted in whole numbers, whereas in normal distribution, the outcomes can take on any value within a range. Additionally, binomial distribution is used for modeling two possible outcomes, while normal distribution is used for continuous data.

What is the formula for calculating binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating binomial distribution is P(x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, p is the probability of success, and q is the probability of failure (q = 1 - p). The notation nCx represents the combination of n trials taken x at a time.

How can binomial distribution be applied in real life?

Binomial distribution can be applied in real life in situations where there are only two possible outcomes, such as in product quality control, election outcomes, or coin tosses. It can also be used to model the success rates of medical treatments or the number of defective items in a production batch.