First order differentials: separating variables

In summary, first order differentials are a type of differential equation used to model physical, biological, and economic phenomena. One method to solve them is by separating variables, which involves integrating the dependent and independent variables separately. This method is useful because it can be applied to a wide range of equations and makes the overall problem easier to solve. Some real-world applications of first order differentials include population growth, radioactive decay, chemical reactions, and economic growth. When solving by separating variables, common mistakes include forgetting the constant of integration, incorrectly separating variables, and not checking for extraneous solutions.
raincheck
"Find the general solution to the differential equation by separating variables:
3tany - dy/dx(secx) = 0"

This is what I set up:

3tany dx = secx dy
1/secx dx = 1/3tany dy
cosx dx = 1/3tany dy
[int] cosx dx = [int] 1/3tany dy
sinx = (1/3)ln|sinx|

I'm stuck as to what to do next, how to solve the equation.. did I mess up in the beginning or what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to separate the same variables. So:

[tex] 3\tan y \; dx = \sec x \; dy [/tex]

Multiply by [tex] \frac{1}{dy\cdot dx} [/tex]. Then you get:

[tex] \frac{dx}{\sec x} = \frac{dy}{3\tan y} [/tex]

[tex] \int \cos x \; dx = \frac{1}{3}\int \cot y + C [/tex]

[tex] \sin x = \frac{1}{3}\ln|\sin y| [/tex]

[tex] 3\sin x = \ln|\sin y| [/tex]

[tex] \sin y = e^{3\sin x} [/tex]

[tex] y = \arcsin(e^{3\sin x}) + C [/tex]

Last edited:
raincheck said:
sinx = (1/3)ln|sinx|

It looks like the y's became x's between these two steps :)

raincheck said:
"Find the general solution to the differential equation by separating variables:
3tany - dy/dx(secx) = 0"

This is what I set up:

3tany dx = secx dy
1/secx dx = 1/3tany dy
cosx dx = 1/3tany dy
Every thing exactly right up to here.

sinx = (1/3)ln|sinx|

No, sin x= (1/3) ln |cos(y)|+ C. You accidently wrote x instead of y and forgot the constant of integeration.

[/quote]I'm stuck as to what to do next, how to solve the equation.. did I mess up in the beginning or what am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]
What exactly do you mean by "solve the equation". In general you cannot solve for y. What you have, with the corrections, is the general solution.

Related to First order differentials: separating variables

What are first order differentials?

First order differentials are a type of differential equation in mathematics that involve the first derivative of an unknown function. They are used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

How do you solve first order differentials?

One method to solve first order differentials is by separating variables, where the dependent and independent variables are separated on opposite sides of the equation and then integrated. This method is particularly useful for equations that are separable, meaning they can be written as a product of two functions, one involving only the dependent variable and the other involving only the independent variable.

Why is separating variables a useful method for solving first order differentials?

Separating variables allows us to solve for the dependent and independent variables separately, making the overall problem easier to solve. This method is also useful because it can be applied to a wide range of first order differentials, including those that cannot be solved by other methods.

What are some real-world applications of first order differentials?

First order differentials are used to model a variety of phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, chemical reactions, and economic growth.

What are some common mistakes when solving first order differentials by separating variables?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating both sides of the equation. Another mistake is incorrectly separating the variables, such as dividing by the wrong variable or forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the dependent variable. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise during the integration process.