First order differential, initial value probelm

In summary: So try that out and see if it works as a solution.In summary, For problem 11, the solutions are y=0 and y=x3. And for the second problem, the solution is y=x2. These solutions can be determined by looking at the equation and trying out some guesses based on your knowledge of differentiation.
illidari

Homework Statement

In problem 11, determine by inspection at least two solutions of the given initial-value problem.

Homework Equations

11. dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) , y(0)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what they mean by inspection, I have no examples to go off from.

If i make it f(x,y)= 3y^(2/3) then the derivative (df/dy) would be 2/(y^(1/3))
then y could not = 0 which means there is not a guaranteed unique solution.

Now how do I go on to get the solutions :/?

Book says y = 0 and y= x^3 is the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, you're looking for a function y(x) that satisfies the differential equation. In other words, some y(x) that, when differentiated with respect to x once, you get 3 * that function to the 2/3 power of the original function.

Surely given y = 0, dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) right? 0^2/3 = 0, d/dx of 0 is 0 right?

Am I looking for a function when I take the derivative and plug in 0 for x, I get 0?

Not really understanding how they got the y=x^3

dy/dx = 3x^2

The differential equation, dy/dx = 3y^(2/3), is separable.
dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) ==>
y^(-2/3)dy = 3dx

Now integrate both sides.

That helped thanks.

That method seems to not work on the next problem they gave, x(dy/dx) = 2y

dy/y = dx/x * 2

ln(y) = 2ln(x)

Book Answer is y = x^2

Is there some other way of solving these ? I am in section 2.1 and separable variables is the name of 2.2. They seem to be explaining how to do #11 in the next section. Any idea what they mean by inspection?

**edit: Forgot about raising e to both sides, that would give me x^2.

Guess this still works :/

illidari said:
That helped thanks.

That method seems to not work on the next problem they gave,

x(dy/dx) = 2y

dy/y = dx/x * 2

ln(y) = 2ln(x)
You forgot the constant of integration, which leads me to believe you might also have forgotten it in the previous problem. In the other problem, it turned out to be zero, so your error didn't cost you anything.
illidari said:
Book Answer is y = x^2

Is there some other way of solving these ? I am in section 2.1 and separable variables is the name of 2.2. They seem to be explaining how to do #11 in the next section. Any idea what they mean by inspection?

**edit: Forgot about raising e to both sides, that would give me x^2.

Guess this still works :/

illidari said:
Any idea what they mean by inspection?
They want you to look at the equation and guess what the answer is based on what you know about differentiation. For example, if you were given the differential equation y'=y, you could guess the answer is ex since you're looking for a function whose derivatives is itself.

For the first problem, y'=3y2/3, you see that differentiating resulted in a factor of 3. When you differentiate x3, the 3 in the exponent comes down, so you might guess that x3 could be a solution. So try it out and see if it works. If it does, you have your solution.

In the second problem, xy'=2y, you could rewrite it slightly as y'=2(y/x). So differentiating introduces a factor of 2 and lowers the power of x by 1. What function do you know is like that?

Related to First order differential, initial value probelm

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the first derivative of an unknown function. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivative, and often involves variables such as time or distance.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of first order differential equation in which the initial value of the unknown function is given. This initial value serves as a starting point for solving the equation and finding the function at other points.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the unknown function and finding its solution.

4. What is the significance of solving a first order differential equation?

Solving a first order differential equation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about their behavior over time.

5. Can a first order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation may have different initial values or boundary conditions that result in different solutions. Additionally, some equations may have general solutions with multiple constants that can be adjusted to obtain different specific solutions.