Finding time given positions in SHM

• Thread starter jstevenson16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm Time
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the time it takes for a block attached to an ideal spring to travel from a certain position to the opposite position. The period, angular frequency, and phase were calculated, but the time found using the rearranged equation was disproportional. It was then determined that the period does not depend on amplitude, but the function describing the motion does. Ultimately, the solution was to find the two times corresponding to the desired positions and take the difference.
jstevenson16

Homework Statement

A small block is attached to an ideal spring and is moving in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When the amplitude of the motion is 0.090m , it takes the block 2.52s to travel from 0.090m to -0.090m . If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180m , how long does it take the block to travel from 0.090m to -0.090m ?

Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt+∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive found the period to be 5.0s, angular frequency to be 1.26 rad/s, and ∅=1.05 rad. Rearranging above equation for time I got (cos-1(x/A)/ω)-∅=t, but this gives me disproportionally large answers. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
On what does the period of a spring-mass oscillator depend? (What's the usual formula for the period)? Do any of the relevant values change when the amplitude is changed?

I am aware that the period does not depend on amplitude, however the problem asks for the time taken to cover half of the amplitude. Even with this knowledge I can't figure how to determine this time.

Okay. So while the period remains the same, the amplitude has changed. Call the new amplitude B = 0.180 m. Then a function describing position versus time for the oscillator is:

##x(t) = B cos(\omega t)##

You don't need to find a phase, just assume that the function describes the motion beginning at an amplitude maximum. Hence the simple cosine function.

Find the two times corresponding to x1 = 0.090 m and x2 = -0.090 m, and then take the difference.

It worked! Thank you very much, it seems that I was thrown off by the phase and was ignoring that the times were dependent upon position and I needed to find the difference between the two.

jstevenson16 said:
It worked! Thank you very much, it seems that I was thrown off by the phase and was ignoring that the times were dependent upon position and I needed to find the difference between the two.

Excellent. Glad it worked out!

Related to Finding time given positions in SHM

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. It is commonly observed in systems such as springs, pendulums, and other mechanical systems.

2. How do you find the period of SHM?

The period of SHM can be found using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation can also be applied to other systems with different forms of restoring forces.

3. Can you find the time given the position in SHM?

Yes, the time can be found using the equation t = √(m/k) * arcsin(x/xmax), where t is the time, m is the mass, k is the spring constant, x is the position at a given time, and xmax is the maximum displacement from equilibrium.

4. How does amplitude affect the time in SHM?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement, does not affect the time in SHM. The period and frequency of SHM are only affected by the mass and spring constant of the system.

5. Can you find the velocity and acceleration at a given time in SHM?

Yes, the velocity and acceleration can be found using the equations v = -ωxmaxsin(ωt) and a = -ω2x, where ω is the angular frequency (ω = 2π/T) and x is the position at a given time. These equations can also be used to find the velocity and acceleration as a function of position or time in SHM.