Finding time of how long the block travels (SHM)

In summary, the conversation discusses a small block attached to an ideal spring and its motion in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. It takes the block 2.52 seconds to travel from x=0.090m to x=-0.090m when the amplitude is 0.090m. Doubling the amplitude to 0.180m, the block takes 0.504 seconds to travel from x=0.180m to x=-0.180m. The relation between length and time period in a pendulum is not linear, and the sinusoidal equation may be needed to solve for the period.
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

A small block is attached to an ideal spring and is moving in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When the amplitude of the motion is 0.090 m , it takes the block 2.52 sto travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m .

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.180 m to x= -0.180 m ?

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m ?

Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I assume that you will be doing the same thing for the second question as you do for part 1.

I tried to set up a ratio but I think i did it wrong:

0.090m/0.252s = 0.180/t
and got t = 0.504 s but that answer is wrong. I'm not sure what to do with the initial and final displacements.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:

Homework Statement

A small block is attached to an ideal spring and is moving in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When the amplitude of the motion is 0.090 m , it takes the block 2.52 sto travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m .

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.180 m to x= -0.180 m ?

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m ?

Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I assume that you will be doing the same thing for the second question as you do for part 1.

I tried to set up a ratio but I think i did it wrong:

0.090m/0.252s = 0.180/t
and got t = 0.504 s but that answer is wrong. I'm not sure what to do with the initial and final displacements.
How are length and time period of the pendulum related? It is not a linear relation.

cnh1995 said:
How are length and time period of the pendulum related? It is not a linear relation.
I found an alternative way to solve this. Do I solve for the period by multiply time by 2 and then finding ω?

cnh1995 said:
Oh, sorry! I read the question wrong.
I think you will need the sinusoidal equation for that. Forget about the pendulum..!
Okay! Thank you!

Related to Finding time of how long the block travels (SHM)

1. What is SHM and how is it related to the block's travel time?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. The time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion is known as its travel time, and it is related to the characteristics of the SHM, such as the amplitude and frequency.

2. How can the time of the block's travel be measured in SHM?

The time of the block's travel can be measured by using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion. This can be repeated multiple times to get an average travel time.

3. What factors can affect the travel time of the block in SHM?

The travel time of the block in SHM can be affected by the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), frequency (number of cycles per unit time), and the mass of the block. Other external factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in altering the travel time.

4. Can the travel time of the block change over time in SHM?

In ideal conditions, the travel time of the block in SHM remains constant as long as the amplitude and frequency remain the same. However, external factors such as air resistance and friction can cause slight variations in the travel time over time.

5. How does the travel time of the block in SHM relate to its energy?

The travel time of the block in SHM is directly related to its kinetic and potential energy. As the block moves away from the equilibrium point, its kinetic energy increases and its potential energy decreases. As it moves back towards the equilibrium point, the opposite occurs. The total energy of the block remains constant, but the distribution between kinetic and potential energy changes as the block travels, affecting the travel time.