Finding the weight of water lost from cloud [Fluid Mechanics]

In summary: Thanks again.So that sounds fine? That was my general idea in my first one I was just assuming the cloud to be a cylinder for some reason. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still coming up with 2.84 * 10^10 lb so I guess I'll give that a shot. Thanks again.In summary, the total weight of rain that fell from the cloud can be estimated by finding the area of the cloud, which is equal to its volume divided by its height, and then calculating the number of barrels that can fit in that area. Multiplying this number by the weight of water in each barrel gives an estimate of 2.84 * 10^10 lb.
leafjerky

Homework Statement

The rain cloud has an approximate volume of 6.50 mile3and an average height, top to bottom, of 350 ft.1 mile = 5280 ft.
If a cylindrical container 6 ft in diameter collects 2 in. of water after the rain falls out of the cloud, estimate the total weight of rain that fell from the cloud.

Homework Equations

1 mile = 5280 ft
1 cubic foot of water = 62.4 lb
6.5 mile3 = 9.57 * 1011 ft3

The Attempt at a Solution

Vcloud = (pi)(r2)(h)
9.57 * 1011 ft3 = (pi)(r2)(350 ft)
rcloud = 29498.4 ft

2 in rain fell = 1.67 * 10-1 ft

Vrain = (pi)(29498.4 ft)2(1.67 * 10-1 ft)
Vrain = 4.57 * 108 ft3 water

4.57 * 108 ft3 water * 62.4 lb/ ft3 water = 2.85 * 1010 lb of water.

Does this seem correct? I have a habit of missing mundane details or sometimes the whole idea in general. Thanks for your help. -David

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems correct. Might be an order of magnitude here or there, but operations are all present.

Likes leafjerky
leafjerky said:

Homework Statement

The rain cloud has an approximate volume of 6.50 mile3and an average height, top to bottom, of 350 ft.1 mile = 5280 ft.
If a cylindrical container 6 ft in diameter collects 2 in. of water after the rain falls out of the cloud, estimate the total weight of rain that fell from the cloud.

Homework Equations

1 mile = 5280 ft
1 cubic foot of water = 62.4 lb
6.5 mile3 = 9.57 * 1011 ft3

The Attempt at a Solution

Vcloud = (pi)(r2)(h)
9.57 * 1011 ft3 = (pi)(r2)(350 ft)
rcloud = 29498.4 ft

2 in rain fell = 1.67 * 10-1 ft

Vrain = (pi)(29498.4 ft)2(1.67 * 10-1 ft)
Vrain = 4.57 * 108 ft3 water

4.57 * 108 ft3 water * 62.4 lb/ ft3 water = 2.85 * 1010 lb of water.

Does this seem correct? I have a habit of missing mundane details or sometimes the whole idea in general. Thanks for your help. -David
You've made the assumption that the cloud is a cylinder as well, which is not supported by the problem statement.

Since you know the total volume of the cloud and the average height, you can find the area of the cloud which gives an equivalent volume of 6.5 mi3

Once you do that, you can find out how many barrels would fit within this area, and knowing the amount of rain water collected in each barrel, calculate the weight of the rain from the cloud.

Likes leafjerky
I think it's even easier than that.

Once you have the area of the cloud just multiply by 2 inches to get volume of rain.
(In the right units obviously).

Likes leafjerky
SteamKing said:
You've made the assumption that the cloud is a cylinder as well, which is not supported by the problem statement.

Since you know the total volume of the cloud and the average height, you can find the area of the cloud which gives an equivalent volume of 6.5 mi3

Once you do that, you can find out how many barrels would fit within this area, and knowing the amount of rain water collected in each barrel, calculate the weight of the rain from the cloud.

Okay so this is what I've come up with. The area of the cloud is equal to volume/height = 9.57 * 10^11 ft^3 / 350 ft = 2.73 * 10^9 ft^2

Area of barrel = 28.3 ft^2
Volume water in barrel = 4.72 ft^3
Weight water in barrel = 294 lb
Barrels that fit in area of cloud = 9.65 * 10^7
Total weight = 2.84 * 10^10 lb

Sorry for bad formatting I'm on my phone

leafjerky said:
Okay so this is what I've come up with. The area of the cloud is equal to volume/height = 9.57 * 10^11 ft^3 / 350 ft = 2.73 * 10^9 ft^2

Area of barrel = 28.3 ft^2
Volume water in barrel = 4.72 ft^3
Weight water in barrel = 294 lb
Barrels that fit in area of cloud = 9.65 * 10^7
Total weight = 2.84 * 10^10 lb

Sorry for bad formatting I'm on my phone
CWatters idea is even simpler than this. :wink:

Likes leafjerky
SteamKing said:
CWatters idea is even simpler than this. :wink:

So that sounds fine? That was my general idea in my first one I was just assuming the cloud to be a cylinder for some reason. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still coming up with 2.84 * 10^10 lb so I guess I'll give that a shot.

Related to Finding the weight of water lost from cloud [Fluid Mechanics]

1. How does fluid mechanics relate to finding the weight of water lost from a cloud?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest and in motion. In the context of finding the weight of water lost from a cloud, fluid mechanics helps us understand the forces and pressures acting on the water droplets in the cloud, as well as the movement and dynamics of the cloud itself.

2. What factors affect the weight of water lost from a cloud?

The weight of water lost from a cloud is influenced by several factors, including the size and density of the water droplets, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air, and the speed and direction of the wind. These factors can change the rate at which water droplets evaporate or precipitate out of the cloud, ultimately affecting the total weight of water lost.

3. How is the weight of water lost from a cloud measured?

The weight of water lost from a cloud can be measured using various techniques, such as weather balloons, satellites, and ground-based instruments. These methods typically involve measuring the amount of precipitation over a given area and time period, and then calculating the weight of water lost from the cloud based on the density of water. Other methods may involve directly measuring the moisture content of the air or tracking the movement of the cloud.

4. What role do atmospheric conditions play in finding the weight of water lost from a cloud?

Atmospheric conditions, such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure, can significantly impact the weight of water lost from a cloud. For example, warmer temperatures can increase the rate of evaporation, while cooler temperatures can cause water droplets to condense and fall as precipitation. Higher humidity levels can also lead to increased precipitation, while lower humidity can result in drier conditions and less water lost from the cloud.

5. How does understanding the weight of water lost from a cloud contribute to our understanding of weather patterns?

Studying the weight of water lost from a cloud is important in understanding and predicting weather patterns. By analyzing the amount of water lost from a cloud, scientists can gain insights into the atmospheric conditions and processes that drive precipitation. This information can then be used to improve weather forecasting and help us better prepare for and mitigate the impacts of severe weather events.