Fluid mechanics calculating force needed to lift submerged disc

In summary: So the only two forces that matter are the weight of the concrete and the buoyant force.The weight of the concrete is 160 lb/ft3. So the force needed to lift it is 160+62.4=248.8 lb/ft.The buoyant force is 62.4+248.8=384.4 lb/ft. So the total force needed to lift the concrete block is 384.4+248.8=578.2 lb/ft.
Gman2013

Homework Statement

The problem:

There is an illustration and the question is to find the force F to lift a concrete block gate if the the concrete weighs 160 lb/ft3. The block is 3' in diameter and 1' thick. It is in a tank of fresh water 15 ft down. the specific weight of the fresh water is 62.4 lb/ft3 and specific weight of the sea water on the other side is 64 lb/ft3

Knowns:
Specific weight fresh water:62.4 lbs/ft3
Specific weight salt water 64 lb/ft3
concrete: 160 lb/ft3, 3' diameterx1' thick

Homework Equations

equations I see:
wt=fb
F=F(water)-F(disc)

The Attempt at a Solution

Steps I see so far
1. Find area of the disc
2. calculate the Volume of the disc
3. Calculate weight of disc
4. Sum of forces acting on disc
-weight acting down
-Calculate force needed to act upward

-Does this use Bernoulli's equation?

Attachments

• question 2.jpg
    question 2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,157
Physics news on Phys.org
If the fluid is not moving you do not need to be concerned with Bernoulli's equation.

What about buoyancy? You did not mention it.

Looking at the problem again I did forget bouyant force so...
Weight=Bouyant force when an object floats... Analysis of the system bernoullis eqations at three points
1. top of sea water
2. At concrete disc
3. surface of freshwater

Would I calculate the pressures at the points to figure the impact on the Concrete disc and then factor that force needed to lift the disc is F(seawater)+Bouyant force.

When the water is not flowing, there is no velocity so all you have is depth and pressures. You can think of Bernoulli's equation because two terms remain if you wish.

The buoyant force is the amount of force the liquid exerts on an object in the upward direction. It is created by pressure differences applied to the surface area of an object.

Do a force balance on the concrete. You have several forces to consider.

1. Its weight
2. Fresh water force
3. Salt water force
4. Force to dislodge it.

The sides don't matter because they are vertical so the pressure only causes forces perpendicular to the direction you are considering.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the knowns and unknowns. In this case, the knowns are the specific weights of fresh water and sea water, as well as the dimensions and weight of the concrete block. The unknown is the force needed to lift the block.

Next, I would consider the relevant equations and principles that can be applied to this problem. The equation wt=fb (weight=force x specific weight) is a good starting point, as it relates the weight of an object to the force acting on it and the specific weight of the fluid it is submerged in. However, I would also consider other principles such as Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

To solve for the force needed to lift the submerged disc, I would first calculate the volume of the disc using its dimensions. Then, I would use the specific weight of the fluid (fresh water or sea water) to calculate the weight of the displaced fluid. This weight would be equal to the upward buoyant force acting on the disc.

Next, I would consider the weight of the disc itself and the downward force it exerts. This would be subtracted from the upward buoyant force to determine the net force acting on the disc.

Finally, I would use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the force needed to lift the disc, where the mass would be the weight of the disc and the acceleration would be the upward acceleration due to the net force acting on it.

In summary, I would approach this problem by considering relevant equations and principles, and then using them to calculate the net force needed to lift the submerged disc. This may or may not involve Bernoulli's equation, depending on the specific approach used.

Related to Fluid mechanics calculating force needed to lift submerged disc

1. How is force calculated in fluid mechanics to lift a submerged disc?

In fluid mechanics, the force needed to lift a submerged disc is calculated using the equation F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is known as Archimedes' principle.

2. What factors affect the force required to lift a submerged disc?

The force needed to lift a submerged disc is affected by factors such as the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and size of the disc, as well as the depth and pressure of the fluid, can also impact the force required.

3. How does the depth of the fluid affect the force needed to lift a submerged disc?

The force needed to lift a submerged disc increases with depth because the pressure of the fluid also increases with depth. This means that the disc must displace more fluid to generate an upward force that is equal to the weight of the disc.

4. Is the force required to lift a submerged disc the same in all fluids?

No, the force needed to lift a submerged disc will vary depending on the density of the fluid. For example, a disc will require more force to lift in water (which has a higher density) compared to air (which has a lower density).

5. Can the force needed to lift a submerged disc be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to lift a submerged disc can be reduced by changing the shape or size of the disc, or by decreasing the density of the fluid. This can be achieved by adding buoyant materials to the disc or using a less dense fluid. Additionally, the force needed can also be reduced by increasing the depth of the fluid, as the pressure at greater depths is higher and can help to lift the disc.