Finding the Trace of a Product of 4 SL(2,C) Matrices | Helpful Guide

In summary, RedX says that the trace of a product is the product of traces, while haushofer says that the trace of a product is the product of the traces and the determinant. RedX also says that the trace of a product is proportional to the gamma matrices while haushofer says that the trace of a product is proportional to the gamma matrices and the Dirac gamma matrices.
div curl F= 0
Dear All

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with finding the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices, namely:

[tex] \mathrm{Tr} \left[ \sigma^{\alpha} \sigma^{\beta} \sigma^{\gamma} \sigma^{\delta} \right] [/tex]

where:

[tex] \sigma^{\alpha} = (\sigma^0, \sigma^1, \sigma^2, \sigma^3) [/tex]

[tex] \sigma^0 = I_2 [/tex]

I'm hoping this is a bunch of kronecker delta's but I can't seem to derive the correct expression needed for my work.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just use the properties of a trace and

[tex]
Tr(\sigma^{\mu}) = 2\delta^{\mu}_{0}
[/tex]

?

So I would guess that your expression is

[tex]
16\delta^{\alpha}_{0}\delta^{\beta}_{0}\delta^{\gamma}_{0}\delta^{\delta}_{0}
[/tex]

:)

I recall needing to calculate the trace of 4 Pauli matrices for calculating the Lagrangian of the pions. However, that was awhile ago, and I can't find the scrap paper where I wrote my result.

The way you do it is to note that the product of two Pauli matrices can be written as a single Pauli matrix, i.e., [tex] \sigma_i \sigma_j=\delta_{ij}\sigma_0+i\epsilon_{ijk}\sigma_{k} [/tex], which works for i,j not equal to 0: I separated cases for when one or both of the Pauli matrices is the zeroth one.

So basically you can reduce the 4 Pauli matrices to 1 Pauli matrix, and the trace of one Pauli matrix is either 2 or 0.

Ah, I made a stupid mistake; I used that the trace of a product is the product of traces, but this is obviously not true; this goes only for the determinant.

Dear RedX and haushofer,

I have infact done the calculation in this way; separating out the zero cases and i,j not equal to zero cases but this has a big knock on effect on the next part of the calculation, making a very large equation out of a very small number of terms. I just thought there may be a general result for this product of 4 pauli matrices which included all the combinations in one rather than splitting it up into 4 separate cases for each pair (0-0, 0-i, i-0, i-j).

Cheers for the replies

I believe your trace can be shown to be proportional to
[tex]{\rm Tr}[\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma^\gamma\gamma^\delta(1{-}\gamma_5)][/tex]
where the [itex]\gamma[/itex]'s are the Dirac gamma matrices. This can then be calculated using gamma-matrix trace rules. See Srednicki's QFT book for details (draft copy free online, google to find it).

I don't remember it being too difficult splitting it up. I can't think of an expression that encompasses everything. I mean something like this:

[tex]
\sigma_\mu \sigma_\nu=\delta_{\mu \nu}\sigma_0+i\epsilon_{0 \mu \nu \rho}\sigma _{\rho}+ (\sigma_\mu \delta_{0 \nu}+ \sigma_\nu \delta_{0 \mu})(1-\delta_{\mu \nu})
[/tex]

is certainly true, but I don't know if this is artificial: the equation still exhibits a split.

Avodyne said:
[tex]{\rm Tr}[\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma^\gamma\gamma^\delta(1{-}\gamma_5)][/tex]
where the [itex]\gamma[/itex]'s are the Dirac gamma matrices. This can then be calculated using gamma-matrix trace rules. See Srednicki's QFT book for details (draft copy free online, google to find it).

That's pretty clever. The product of 4 gamma matrices (in the Weyl basis) is block diagonal, and the left projection operator isolates the upper left block.

Avodyne said:

This isn't quite the same. This gives [itex]2 {\rm Tr}[\sigma^\alpha\overline{\sigma}^\beta\sigma^\gamma\overline{\sigma}^\delta][/itex], where [itex]\sigma = (I_2,\vec{\sigma})[/itex] and [itex]\overline{\sigma} = (I_2,-\vec{\sigma})[/itex]. This has sign differences in terms involving [itex]\sigma_0[/itex].

Related to Finding the Trace of a Product of 4 SL(2,C) Matrices | Helpful Guide

1. What is the purpose of finding the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices?

The trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices is used in various fields of mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of Lie groups and their representations. It can also be used to solve certain differential equations and to calculate the eigenvalues of a matrix.

2. How do you calculate the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices?

To calculate the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices, you must multiply the matrices in the desired order and then take the sum of the diagonal elements. This sum will be the trace of the product.

3. Can the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices have complex values?

Yes, the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices can have complex values. This is because the matrices themselves can have complex elements, and the trace is simply the sum of the diagonal elements, regardless of their nature.

4. Are there any properties of the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices?

Yes, there are several properties of the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices. For example, the trace is invariant under similarity transformations and it is also additive and multiplicative.

5. What are some applications of finding the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices?

Some applications of finding the trace of a product of 4 SL(2,C) matrices include solving differential equations, calculating eigenvalues, and studying the representation theory of Lie groups. It can also be used in quantum mechanics and signal processing.