Spinor Lorentz Transform via Vectors - Cross Product Issue

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformation operator acting on an undotted spinor and its derivation using infinitesimal rotations and boosts. The goal is to find the second part of the operator, but the cross product in the calculation creates confusion. The conversation ends with the answer being found using the relation for the cross product and solving for the value of lambda, which is equal to half of the imaginary unit multiplied by the cross product.
bolbteppa
The Lorentz transformation operator acting on an undotted, i.e. right-handed, spinor can be expressed as $$e^{-\frac{1}{2} \sigma \cdot \mathbf{\phi} + i\frac{1}{2} \sigma \cdot \mathbf{\theta}}.$$

There is a very cool, almost childlike, derivation of this expression in Landau Vol. 4 S. 18 I've never seen anywhere else, deriving ##e^{-\frac{1}{2} \sigma \cdot \mathbf{\phi}}## first, then ##e^{ i\frac{1}{2} \sigma \cdot \mathbf{\theta}}##.

When deriving the second term, a cross product arises in the calculation, and I can't make sense of what to do with it. To properly explain the calculation, I have derived ##e^{-\frac{1}{2} \sigma \cdot \mathbf{\phi}}## first to set the notation, and hopefully pique your interest, and then tried to derive the second term. My question will be: can you finish the calculation, and explain the cross product issue?

Given a position vector $$\mathbf{r} = (x,y,z) = (x^1,y^1,z^1),$$ define $$\sigma \cdot \mathbf{r} = \begin{bmatrix} z & x - iy \\ x + iy & - z \end{bmatrix} = x^i \sigma_i = x \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix} + y \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{bmatrix} + x \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}$$
so that
$$x^i = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}[(\sigma \cdot \mathbf{r}) \sigma_i],$$
abbreviated as
$$\mathrm{r} = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}[(\sigma \cdot \mathbf{r}) \sigma].$$Adding $$tI = x^0 \sigma_0$$ to this gives $$T(t,\mathbf{r}) = T(t,x^1,x^2,x^3) = T(t,x,y,z) = T = x^i \sigma_i = \begin{bmatrix} t + z & x - iy \\ x + iy & t - z \end{bmatrix}$$
so that
$$t = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T)$$ and $$x^i = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma_i),$$
i.e.
$$\mathbf{r} = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma).$$

If we perform an infinitesimal Lorentz boost on ##(t,\mathbf{r})## with infinitesimal velocity ## \delta \mathbf{V}## the Lorentz transformation of ##(t,\mathbf{r})## becomes
\begin{align}
t' &= t - \mathbf{r} \cdot \delta \mathbf{V}, \\
\mathbf{r}' &= \mathbf{r} - t \delta \mathbf{V}
\end{align}
and that of ##T## becomes $$T' = BTB^+ = (I + \lambda)T(I + \lambda^+) = T + \lambda T + T \lambda^+$$
so that our goal is to find ##B##, i.e. ##\lambda##, via
\begin{align}
t' &= t - \mathbf{r} \cdot \delta \mathbf{V} = t - \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma \cdot \delta \mathbf{V}) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(T') = \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(BTB^+ ) \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[(I + \lambda)T(I + \lambda^+)) = t + \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[T (\lambda + \lambda^+)]
\end{align}
so that $$\lambda + \lambda^+ = - \sigma \cdot \delta \mathbf{V}$$ implies $$\lambda = \lambda^+ = -\frac{1}{2}\sigma \cdot \delta \mathbf{V}.$$
(Can justify this fully by expanding ##\mathbf{r}'## in the same way and solving both equations for ##\lambda, \lambda^+##)
giving, for ##\delta \mathbf{V} = \mathbf{\phi}##,
\begin{align}
B &= I + \lambda = I - \frac{1}{2}\sigma \cdot \mathbf{\phi} \\
&= e^{- \frac{1}{2}\sigma \cdot \mathbf{\phi}},
\end{align}
the first part of our Lorentz transformation operator. Calculating the second part is the issue, hence my question. The cross product complicates things.

Under an infinitesimal rotation ##\delta \theta## we see
\begin{align}
\mathbf{r}' &= \mathbf{r} - \delta \theta \times \mathbf{r} \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) - \delta \theta \times \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(T'\sigma) = \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(BTB^+\sigma) \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[(I + \lambda)T(I + \lambda^+)\sigma) = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) + \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[ \lambda T \sigma + T \lambda^+ \sigma ]
\end{align}
and solving for ##\lambda## in the equality
$$- \delta \theta \times \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) = \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[ \lambda T \sigma + T \lambda^+ \sigma ]$$
is unmanageable to me, but the answer is $$\lambda = \frac{1}{2}i \sigma \cdot \delta \mathbf{\theta}.$$
How do you deal with this cross product and get the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the rotations. What's done here is to use the fact that the "fundamental representation" for ##\mathrm{SO}(3)## on 3D real vectors is just the adjoint representation of the group ##\mathrm{SU}(2)##. The rotation in the representation ##s=1/2## is given by
$$\hat{R}(\vec{\varphi})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{\varphi} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}/2).$$
Now you can evaluate this by using the series expansion of the matrix exponential. Then it's very easy to show that with
$$\vec{x}' \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}=\hat{R} \vec{x} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}} \hat{R}^{\dagger}.$$
##\vec{x}'## is indeed just the rotated ##\vec{x}## with angle ##|\vec{\varphi}|## around the direction of ##\vec{\varphi}##.

The same can be done for the boost with the extended definition, ##x^{\mu} \cdot \hat{\sigma}_{\mu}##, where ##\sigma_0=\hat{1}##.

For infinitesimal transformations it's even simpler. You just use
$$\exp(-\mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\varphi} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}/2) = \hat{1}-\mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\varphi} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}/2$$
for rotations or
$$\exp(-\delta \vec{\eta} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}/2) = \hat{1}-\mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\eta} \cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}/2.$$

Likes bolbteppa
Landau indeed says we don't actually need to do the calculation and can do what you just said.

However he mentions that it's also possible to directly work the answer out, in the way I have indicated, and that is my question: directly working the answer out.

How in the world does

$$- \delta \theta \times \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) = \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[ \lambda T \sigma + T \lambda^+ \sigma ]$$

reduce to

$$\lambda = \frac{1}{2}i \sigma \cdot \delta \mathbf{\theta}?$$

For the rotation you have
$$X'=R X R^{\dagger},$$
and for an infinitesimal ##\delta \vec{\varphi}## you get commutators of ##\sigma## matrices, but these fullfil the commutator relations for angular momenta (up to a factor of ##2##),
$$[\sigma_j,\sigma_k]=2\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{jkl} \sigma_l.$$
Tinkering everything together you must get
$$\delta \vec{x} = -\delta \vec{\varphi} \times \vec{x},$$
or in Cartesian Ricci notation
$$\delta x_j=-\epsilon_{jkl} \delta v_k x_l.$$

I don't really get what you mean, but I think I found the answer. Using the relation for the cross product given here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinors_in_three_dimensions#Formulation

\begin{align}
X &= \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{x}, \\
Y &= \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{y}, \\
i \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot ( \mathbf{x} \times \mathbf{y}) &= \frac{1}{2}(XY - YX)
\end{align}

I should have written

\begin{align}
\mathbf{r}' &= \mathbf{r} - \delta \theta \times \mathbf{r} \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) - \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}( \delta \theta \times \mathbf{r}) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(T'\sigma) = \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}(BTB^+\sigma) \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[(I + \lambda)T(I + \lambda^+)\sigma) = \frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(T \sigma) + \frac{1}{2}\mathrm{tr}[ \lambda T \sigma + T \lambda^+ \sigma ]
\end{align}

and so I think that settles it, phew!

What I meant is the following. Starting from the infinitesimal rotation (and not distinguishing upper and lower indices since these are purely Cartesian anyway)
$$x_j'\sigma_j=(1-\mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\phi} \cdot \vec{\sigma}/2)x_j \sigma_{j} (1-\mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\phi} \cdot \vec{\sigma}/2)=x_j \sigma_j -\mathrm{i} \delta \phi_k/2 x_j [\sigma_k,\sigma_j]=x_j \sigma_j +\epsilon_{kjl} \delta \phi_k x^j \sigma_l = [x_j -(\delta \vec{\phi} \times \vec{x})_j]\sigma_j,$$
directly proves that you induce an infinitesimal rotation on the spatial components ##x_j## of the four-position vector (of course you don't change the time component, because it figures in the spinor representation as ##x^0 \hat{1}##, and ##[\hat{1},\sigma_j]=0##).

Likes bolbteppa
Ah, nice!

1. What is a spinor in physics?

A spinor is a mathematical object used to represent the spin of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is a complex vector with two components that transform differently than regular vectors under rotations. Spinors are essential in describing the properties and behavior of particles with intrinsic angular momentum, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. How do spinors relate to the Lorentz transform?

In special relativity, the Lorentz transform is a mathematical equation used to describe how measurements of time and space change between two frames of reference moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. Spinors play a crucial role in this transformation, as they transform differently than regular vectors and are required to accurately describe the behavior of particles with spin under relativistic conditions.

3. What is the cross product issue in spinor Lorentz transform?

The cross product issue arises when attempting to use the traditional cross product operation to transform spinors under the Lorentz transform. This operation does not preserve the properties of spinors and can lead to incorrect results. As a result, alternative methods, such as using the Pauli matrices or the Clifford algebra, are used to correctly transform spinors.

4. Why is it important to address the cross product issue in spinor Lorentz transform?

Addressing the cross product issue is crucial because it ensures the accuracy and validity of calculations and predictions in the study of particles with spin under relativistic conditions. Ignoring the cross product issue can lead to incorrect results and misinterpretations of experimental data, hindering progress in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.

5. Are spinors the only way to describe particles with spin?

No, spinors are not the only way to describe particles with spin. Other mathematical objects, such as tensors, can also be used. However, spinors have proven to be the most efficient and accurate way to describe the properties and behavior of particles with spin in the context of special relativity and quantum mechanics.