Finding the total distance traveled by the body at interval

In summary, at time t, the position of a body moving along the s-axis is s=t^3 -12t^2 + 36t. The body traveled a total of 59m from time 0 to 3.
GustX

Homework Statement

At time t, the position of a body moving along the s-axis is
[itex] s= t^3 -12t^2 + 36t m(meters)
[/itex]
Find the total distance traveled by the body from t = 0 to t = 3.

Homework Equations

Derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the derivative which is
3t^2 - 24t + 36(meters)
I set it equal to zero and got

t = sqrt[-4]

which wouldn't work out

I've also tried inputting the derivative into the quadratic formula and got
[itex]t = 4
[/itex]
[itex]
t = 2[/itex]
idk if that was neccesaryi tried inputting all the t values from interval 0-3 and got the following results
[itex]
0 -> 0
[/itex]
[itex]
1 -> 25
[/itex]
[itex]
2 -> 32
[/itex]
[itex]
3 -> 27
[/itex]

Trying to mimic the book I took the differences between each interval result
[itex]
(0 and 25) -> 25
[/itex]
[itex]
(25 and 32) -> 7
[/itex]
[itex]
(32 and 27) -> 5
[/itex]
[itex]
25 + 7 + 5 = 37

[/itex]
but that isn't the answer on the sheet either which is 59m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GustX said:

Homework Statement

At time t, the position of a body moving along the s-axis is
[itex] s= t^3 -12t^2 + 36t m(meters)
[/itex]
Find the total distance traveled by the body from t = 0 to t = 3.

Homework Equations

Derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the derivative which is
3t^2 - 24t + 36(meters)
I set it equal to zero and got

t = sqrt[-4]

which wouldn't work out

I've also tried inputting the derivative into the quadratic formula and got
[itex]t = 4
[/itex]
[itex]
t = 2[/itex]
idk if that was neccesaryi tried inputting all the t values from interval 0-3 and got the following results
[itex]
0 -> 0
[/itex]
[itex]
1 -> 25
[/itex]
[itex]
2 -> 32
[/itex]
[itex]
3 -> 27
[/itex]

Trying to mimic the book I took the differences between each interval result
[itex]
(0 and 25) -> 25
[/itex]
[itex]
(25 and 32) -> 7
[/itex]
[itex]
(32 and 27) -> 5
[/itex]
[itex]
25 + 7 + 5 = 37

[/itex]
but that isn't the answer on the sheet either which is 59m

You need to show more work. It matters where the derivative (velocity) is positive or negative. If the object switches direction and doubles back on itself, the difference in position is not the total distance travelled. Start by showing us where on the interval the derivative is positive or negative. Look at the signs of the factors of the derivative to figure that out.

[Edit, added] Looking again, I think your text is incorrect and your answer of 37 is correct. But your method isn't correct because there is no reason to just restrict yourself to integers when evaluating the position.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
You need to show more work. It matters where the derivative (velocity) is positive or negative. If the object switches direction and doubles back on itself, the difference in position is not the total distance travelled. Start by showing us where on the interval the derivative is positive or negative. Look at the signs of the factors of the derivative to figure that out.

[Edit, added] Looking again, I think your text is incorrect and your answer of 37 is correct. But your method isn't correct because there is no reason to just restrict yourself to integers when evaluating the position.
when factored its

3(t-2)(t-4)

you mean the signs atm or after i find the zeros?

Since the quadratic gave me
t =2
t = 4
it should change in these two points but only 1 (t =2) is in the interval so only 1 change matters
but when i input t values t >= 2 the sign doesn't change from the previous s(t) values which were t < 2
I don't think my answer is correct since it isn't the same as the sheet which says 59m,I put in non integers now

0.5 -> 15.125
1.5 -> 30.375
2.5 -> 30.625

GustX said:
when factored its

3(t-2)(t-4)

That is why you need to show your work. When what is factored? I don't get those factors anywhere.

you mean the signs atm or after i find the zeros?

What does atm mean?

Since the quadratic gave me
t =2
t = 4
it should change in these two points but only 1 (t =2) is in the interval so only 1 change matters

What should change?

but when i input t values t >= 2 the sign doesn't change from the previous s(t) values which were t < 2
I don't think my answer is correct since it isn't the same as the sheet which says 59m,I put in non integers now

s(t) is positive on the whole interval [0,3]. Why do you expect its sign to change? You seem very confused about this.

0.5 -> 15.125
1.5 -> 30.375
2.5 -> 30.625

It does no good to type in random numbers. You need to think about the velocity and when it is positive and negative. That will give you the important values of ##t## where the object changes direction. Look again at my suggestion in post #2 in the paragraph before the edit. Also note my edit in post #2 where I indicate the answer of 59 that is given is incorrect.

LCKurtz said:
That is why you need to show your work. When what is factored? I don't get those factors anywhere.

Ok, I wrote a number wrong when i factored just then but original problem so it is
[itex]
3(t-2)(t-6)
[/itex]

LCKurtz said:
What does atm mean?
if whether I should look at the signs of the factors of the derivative to find out where on the interval its positive or negative

LCKurtz said:
What should change?
positive and negative?

LCKurtz said:
s(t) is positive on the whole interval [0,3]. Why do you expect its sign to change? You seem very confused about this.

LCKurtz said:
It does no good to type in random numbers. You need to think about the velocity and when it is positive and negative. That will give you the important values of ##t## where the object changes direction. Look again at my suggestion in post #2 in the paragraph before the edit. Also note my edit in post #2 where I indicate the answer of 59 that is given is incorrect.

Weird that it would be incorrect but maybe the prof made a mistake.

GustX said:
Ok, I wrote a number wrong when i factored just then but original problem so it is
[itex]
3(t-2)(t-6)
[/itex]

You keep saying "it is" but your expression needs an equal sign and something on the left side to tell what "it" is.

Weird that it would be incorrect but maybe the prof made a mistake.

Also weird that you don't seem to be interested in actually analyzing the problem. If "it" is the derivative of ##s(t)## and you figure out where it is positive or negative, what are you going to do with that knowledge to actually solve the problem correctly?

Related to Finding the total distance traveled by the body at interval

1. How do you calculate the total distance traveled by a body at a specific time interval?

The total distance traveled by a body at a specific time interval can be calculated by multiplying the average velocity of the body during that time interval by the duration of the interval. The formula for this is: distance = velocity x time.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance traveled?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position, while distance traveled is the total length of the path taken by the object during its motion. Displacement is a vector quantity, while distance traveled is a scalar quantity.

3. How does the direction of motion affect the calculation of total distance traveled?

The direction of motion does not affect the calculation of total distance traveled. Distance is a scalar quantity and does not take into account the direction of motion. However, displacement is affected by the direction of motion as it is a vector quantity.

4. What is the importance of finding the total distance traveled by a body at a specific time interval?

Calculating the total distance traveled by a body at a specific time interval is important in understanding the overall motion of the body. It can also help in determining the average speed of the body during that time interval and can be used in various physics and engineering calculations.

5. Can the total distance traveled by a body be negative?

No, the total distance traveled by a body cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive or zero, representing the total length of the path taken by the object. However, displacement, which is a vector quantity, can be negative if the initial position of the object is greater than the final position.