Calculating the Total Distance Traveled by a Particle using Parametric Equations

• Thread starter member 508213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
So the final answer is 87.72.In summary, the particle's position is represented parametrically by x=t^2-3 and y=(2/3)t^3. The total distance traveled by the particle from t=0 to 5 can be found by using the formula for arc length of a parametric curve, which is the integral from 0 to 5 of the square root of ((2t)^2 + (2t^2)^2) dt. This results in a total distance of 87.72. There is no need to talk about "net" distance in this case as the integral is always positive.
member 508213

Homework Statement

a particle's position is represented parametrically by x=t^2-3 and y=(2/3)t^3

Find the total distance traveled by the particle from t= 0 to 5

Homework Equations

Can't think of any

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot think of a way to do it keeping it in terms of t. All I could do was convert the original equations to Cartesian and evaluate the difference from t=0 to 5 which in terms of x is -3 to 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Austin said:

Homework Statement

a particle's position is represented parametrically by x=t^2-3 and y=(2/3)t^3

Find the total distance traveled by the particle from t= 0 to 5

Homework Equations

Can't think of any

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot think of a way to do it keeping it in terms of t. All I could do was convert the original equation to Cartesian and evaluate the difference from t=0 to 5 which in terms of x is -3 to 22.
Look in your text for the formula for arc length of a parametric curve ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t),y(t)\rangle##.

Ok thanks I was not thinking of arc length for some reason. I got 87.72 as the total distance can that be verified as correct?

Also, just as a side question, in this problem what if it asked for net distance instead of total distance, I was just trying to conceptualize that. In this case the net distance would be equal to the total distance correct? When would there be a vector situation where the net distance would not equal the total distance?

Actually, how would you even define net distance for a vector situation like this? I kind of confused myself now

You will have to show your work to get it checked. I get a different answer so one of us is wrong. Also note that ##\int_a^b|\vec V(t)|~dt## is always positive as long as ##a<b## so there is no need to talk about "net" distance.

LCKurtz said:
You will have to show your work to get it checked. I get a different answer so one of us is wrong. Also note that ##\int_a^b|\vec V(t)|~dt## is always positive as long as ##a<b## so there is no need to talk about "net" distance.
It would be the integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2 right? So integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of ( (2t)^2 + (2t^2)^2) dt right?

Austin said:
It would be the integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2 right? So integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of ( (2t)^2 + (2t^2)^2) dt right?

That's right. And this morning, I agree with your answer. Must have had a mistake last night.

Related to Calculating the Total Distance Traveled by a Particle using Parametric Equations

1. What is the definition of total distance of a particle?

The total distance of a particle is the sum of all the distances traveled by the particle in a given time interval. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the displacement.

2. How is total distance different from displacement?

Total distance takes into account the actual path taken by the particle, while displacement only considers the straight line distance between the starting and ending points. Displacement also includes the direction of the movement, whereas total distance does not.

3. How is total distance calculated?

To calculate total distance, you need to add up all the individual distances traveled by the particle. This can be done by measuring the length of each segment of the path or by using mathematical equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can the total distance of a particle be negative?

No, the total distance of a particle can never be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it is always represented as a positive value.

5. Why is it important to calculate the total distance of a particle?

Calculating the total distance of a particle is important in understanding its motion and the energy it expends. It can also be used to determine the average speed of the particle, as well as its velocity and acceleration at different points in time.