Finding the Right Calculus Book for an Electrical Engineering Student

In summary, for an electrical engineering student looking for a calculus book, "Schaum's Outline of Advanced Calculus" by Robert Wrede and Murray Spiegel is recommended for its easy understanding and solved problems. For a book with thorough explanations and proofs, "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline is suggested. "Stewart's Calculus: Early Transcendentals" is also a good option for a more rigorous approach.
paulmdrdo1
what calculus book/author can you recommend for an electrical engineering student?

Physics news on Phys.org
I need calculus book that explains concepts thoroughly and have proofs but in an UN-intimidating approach.(Nerd)

Your two conditions of "for an electrical engineering student" and "have proofs but in an UN-intimidating approach" are a little contradictory. That's not your fault, but the fault of many electrical engineering students, who care nothing for proofs. My standard recommendation is Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach, by Morris Kline. He has great explanations, and great applications. He is a true teacher. It is not the most rigorous book on the planet, but that wasn't his goal in writing it.

A bit more proof-heavy would be my favorite current standard book, which is Stewart's Calculus: Early Transcendentals. It's a solid text, and has everything you need.

Related to Finding the Right Calculus Book for an Electrical Engineering Student

1. What are the key features to look for in a calculus book?

When choosing a calculus book, it is important to look for clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and a strong emphasis on visual aids such as diagrams and graphs. It is also helpful to find a book that offers online resources or supplementary materials.

2. Is it better to choose a textbook written by a single author or a team of authors?

There is no right answer to this question as it ultimately depends on personal preference. A single author may provide a more cohesive and consistent writing style, while a team of authors may offer a diverse range of perspectives and approaches to learning calculus.

3. How can I determine the difficulty level of a calculus book?

One way to determine the difficulty level of a calculus book is to look at the prerequisite knowledge and skills required. If the book assumes a strong understanding of algebra and precalculus, it may be more challenging. Additionally, reading reviews and asking for recommendations from professors or other students can also give insight into the difficulty level.

4. Are there any specific calculus books recommended for self-study?

Some popular calculus books for self-study include "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert Adams and Christopher Essex. However, the best book for self-study will depend on the individual's learning style and needs.

5. Can I use an older edition of a calculus book instead of the latest edition?

In most cases, using an older edition of a calculus book should not significantly impact the learning experience. However, it is important to check with the instructor to ensure that the content and exercises are still relevant. Additionally, newer editions may offer updated graphics and examples, but these can also be found online in supplementary materials.