Have you tried Demystified Calculus for a more student-friendly approach?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of two books, Demystified Calculus and Demystified Advanced Calculus, from amazon.com. The language used in both books is simple and does not include math jargon. Each book is divided into sections with tests and chapter exams. The conversation also mentions a James Stewart textbook that covers all three semesters of Calculus but is not student-friendly. The importance of understanding mathematical jargon is also mentioned.
harpazo
I just purchased, through amazon.com, Demystified Calculus (covering the first-two semesters of Calculus) and Demystified Advanced Calculus (Calculus 3). I like the language used in both books, language that does not include math jargon.

Each book is divided into several sections with a test at the end of each section and a chapter exam covering several sections. Does anyone here know anything else concerning the Demystified Series in general? I have a James Stewart textbook that covers all three semesters of Calculus but it is not student-friendly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of communicating effectively in mathematics is learning the "jargon." I am not familiar with the "Demystified Calculus" series, but I would raise an eyebrow to a treatment of elementary calculus that does not include "math jargon." :D

For me, it is about understanding what is being said. You must agree that textbooks do not make things simple. Authors of math books always assume that readers understand mathematics at their level. This is a huge mistake.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the analysis and manipulation of functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides the mathematical tools to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion. It is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the computation of areas and volumes under curves.

What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as determining the optimal speed for a car to travel to reach a destination in the shortest time, calculating the maximum profit for a business, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

Is calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging to learn, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and techniques. However, with practice and a solid understanding of the fundamentals, it can be a rewarding and useful tool for solving real-world problems.