Finding the real and imaginary part

• Thread starter thercias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the real part, imaginary part, and absolute magnitude of two expressions: tanh(x-ipi/2) and cos(pi/2-iy). The solutions for the real and imaginary parts are found using hyperbolic trigonometric functions, and the absolute magnitude is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. The possibility of negative values for the hyperbolic functions is also mentioned.
thercias

Homework Statement

Determine the real part, the imaginary part, and the absolute magnitude of the following expressions:
tanh(x-ipi/2)
cos(pi/2-iy)

Homework Equations

cos(x) = e^ix+e^-ix
tanh(x) = (1-e^-2x)/(1+e^-2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

for cos(pi/2-iy)= (e^(ipi/2-i^2(y))+e^(i^2(y)-ipi/2))/2
=0.5(e^ipi/2*e^-i^2y + e^i^2y*e^-ipi/2)
=0.5(ie^y+e^-y*-i)
=0.5i(e^y-e^-y)
therefore, imaginary = 0.5(e^y-e^-y)
and real = 0

for tanh(x-ipi/2) = (1-e^-2(x-ipi/2))/(1+e^-2(x-ipi/2))
after simplifying i get
(1+e^-2x)/(1-e^-2x)
so that ^ is the real part
and imaginary = 0

I'm not really sure if I am doing this right though, or if i have to somehow simplify these expressions to get the answer. If so, how would I solve the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simpler to note that ##\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - iy\right) = \sin(iy)##.

for cos(pi/2-iy)= (e^(ipi/2-i^2(y))+e^(i^2(y)-ipi/2))/2
=0.5(e^ipi/2*e^-i^2y + e^i^2y*e^-ipi/2)
=0.5(ie^y+e^-y*-i)
=0.5i(e^y-e^-y)
therefore, imaginary = 0.5(e^y-e^-y)
and real = 0

There's a sign error here, otherwise, your final answers are correct -- it's a lot easier if you write it in terms of a hyperbolic trig function.

for tanh(x-ipi/2) = (1-e^-2(x-ipi/2))/(1+e^-2(x-ipi/2))
after simplifying i get
(1+e^-2x)/(1-e^-2x)
so that ^ is the real part
and imaginary = 0

That's correct too. Can you write that answer in terms of a hyperbolic trig function?

i can't find the sign mistake that you're referring to. and yes, the second one would be coth(x)

My apologies, no sign error. Looks correct to me.

Alright thanks, as for finding the absolute magnitude, would the expressions above simply be the answer?
if absolute mag = |a + bi| = sqrt(a^2 +b^2)= sqrt(0^2+0.5(e^y-e^-y)^2) =0.5(e^y-e^-y)
for the second = sqrt(coth(x)^2) = coth(x)

I'm not convinced about that. ##\sinh(x)## and ##\coth(x)## can take on negative values, can they not?

So it's just going to be the + and - values of the above? Since you're taking the square root of it.

Yes (for positive and negative arguments). Either way, ##|\coth(x)| = \coth(x)## and ##|\sinh(x)| = \sinh(x)## definitely do not hold true for all x! It's best to either leave it in absolute value form or define your function separately for different values of x.

Related to Finding the real and imaginary part

1. What is the definition of a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

2. How do you find the real and imaginary part of a complex number?

To find the real part of a complex number, simply take the coefficient of the real number a. To find the imaginary part, take the coefficient of the imaginary unit bi.

3. Why do we use the terms "real" and "imaginary" for the parts of a complex number?

The terms "real" and "imaginary" are used to distinguish between the two parts of a complex number. The real part represents a real value and the imaginary part represents a value that is based on the imaginary unit i.

4. Can a complex number have a real part of 0?

Yes, a complex number can have a real part of 0, meaning that it is purely imaginary. This would be expressed as bi, where b is a non-zero real number and i is the imaginary unit.

5. How do you graph a complex number on the complex plane?

A complex number can be graphed on the complex plane by plotting the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The point where these two values intersect is the location of the complex number on the plane.