Finding the probability density of a recombined beam.

In summary, when a neutron beam is split into two components, one by reflection and the other by transmission, the reflected beam undergoes a phase shift of π radians, while the transmitted beam undergoes a phase shift of Δ. The equation for the probability density of the recombined wave is ρ = 2|psi|^2 * sin(Δ/2)^2, where psi is the equation of the original beam. The expressions for the reflected and transmitted waves are psi_r = psi * e^iπ and psi_t = psi * e^iΔ, respectively. However, the magnitudes of the transmitted and reflected waves may not be as great as the incoming wave.
Whistlekins

Homework Statement

So a neutron beam is split into two components, one by reflection, the other by transmission. The phase shift undergone by the reflected beam is [itex]\pi[/itex] radians, and the phase shift of the transmitted beam is [itex]\Delta[/itex].

What is the equation of the probability density of the recombined wave?

Homework Equations

Wave equation psi = A*e^(i(kx - wt))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the expressions for the reflected wave is psi_r = psi * e^i*pi and the transmitted wave is psi_t = psi * e^i*del

Then it would just be a simple case of adding them, and squaring the absolute of the sum to find the probability density? Which seems to be a simple algebra problem. But I can't for the life of me seem to arrive at the correct expression, given to be:

rho = 2|psi|^2 * sin(del/2)^2, where psi is the equation of the original beam.

A point in the right direction would be great, even if it's just affirming that my expressions for the reflected and transmitted waves are correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whistlekins said:
I'm assuming that the expressions for the reflected wave is psi_r = psi * e^i*pi and the transmitted wave is psi_t = psi * e^i*del
I think you've got it almost right. But does it make sense that the 'magnitudes' of the transmitted and reflected waves are each as great as the incoming wave?

Related to Finding the probability density of a recombined beam.

What is the probability density of a recombined beam?

The probability density of a recombined beam is a mathematical concept that describes the likelihood of a specific outcome or event occurring in the process of recombining a beam of particles. It is represented by a function that assigns a value to every possible outcome, with higher values indicating a higher probability.

How is the probability density of a recombined beam calculated?

The probability density of a recombined beam is typically calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. This involves taking into account the properties of the particles in the beam, such as their energy and position, and using mathematical equations to determine the probability of different outcomes.

What factors can affect the probability density of a recombined beam?

Several factors can influence the probability density of a recombined beam, including the initial properties of the particles in the beam, the environment in which the recombination occurs, and any external forces acting on the particles. The probability density may also be affected by the specific methods used to measure or observe the recombination process.

Can the probability density of a recombined beam be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the probability density of a recombined beam can be altered through various methods. For example, the properties of the particles in the beam can be controlled or adjusted to change the probability of certain outcomes. Additionally, external forces can be applied to the particles to alter their trajectory and affect the probability of different outcomes.

What applications does the concept of probability density of a recombined beam have?

The concept of probability density of a recombined beam has various applications in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems, such as in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and quantum computing. It also has practical applications in areas such as materials science and drug development.