Calculating Probability Current Density for a Wave Function

In summary, the equation represents the current density vector. The RHS represents the rate of change of the current density at some point. The LHS represents the divergence of the current density vector.
elemis

Homework Statement

Calculate the probability current density vector [itex]\vec{j}[/itex]for the wave function [itex]\psi = Ae^{-(wt-kx)}[/itex].

Homework Equations

From my very poor and beginner's understanding of probability density current it is :

[itex]\frac{d(\psi \psi^{*})}{dt}=\frac{i\hbar}{2m}[\frac{d\psi}{dx}\psi^{*}-\frac{d\psi^{*}}{dx}\psi][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying the RHS of the above equation :

[itex]\frac{i\hbar}{2m}[-A^{2}ikxe^{-i(ωt-kx)}e^{i(ωt-kx)}-A^{2}ikxe^{i(ωt-kx)}e^{-i(ωt-kx)}][/itex]

This gives :

[itex]\frac{-2iA^{2}ik\hbar}{2m}=\frac{k \hbar A^{2}}{m}[/itex]

This is not the correct answer. :( What have I done wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elemis said:
[itex]\frac{d(\psi \psi^{*})}{dt}=\frac{i\hbar}{2m}[\frac{d\psi}{dx}\psi^{*}-\frac{d\psi^{*}}{dx}\psi][/itex]

This equation isn't correct. But the right hand side does represent the current density.

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying the RHS of the above equation :

[itex]\frac{i\hbar}{2m}[-A^{2}ikxe^{-i(ωt-kx)}e^{i(ωt-kx)}-A^{2}ikxe^{i(ωt-kx)}e^{-i(ωt-kx)}][/itex]

This gives :

[itex]\frac{-2iA^{2}ik\hbar}{2m}=\frac{k \hbar A^{2}}{m}[/itex]

This is not the correct answer. :( What have I done wrong ?

This looks correct to me for the magnitude of the current density.
Maybe you need to express your answer as a vector.

Or, maybe you are supposed to allow A to be a complex number. If so, then A2 in your answer would need to be modified.

There seems to be a sign mistake - I think.

TSny said:
This equation isn't correct. But the right hand side does represent the current density.

Or, maybe you are supposed to allow A to be a complex number. If so, then A2 in your answer would need to be modified.

No, letting A be complex doesn't change anything.

dauto said:
No, letting A be complex doesn't change anything.

The probability current must be real. If A is complex (i.e., nonzero imaginary part), then A2 is also complex.

TSny said:

What is the correct form of the LHS of the equation ? I'm assuming the RHS is completely correct ?

I realized that [itex]\hbar k[/itex] = mv = p can be substituted into the last step of my workings to obtain j = A2v which is the correct answer.

dauto said:
There seems to be a sign mistake - I think.

Where exactly ?

elemis said:
What is the correct form of the LHS of the equation ? I'm assuming the RHS is completely correct ?

The left hand side represents the rate of change of the probability current at some point. This should equal the negative of the divergence of the probability current vector at that point. In one dimension the gradient is just the derivative with respect to x. So, to make the equation correct, you would need to apply -d/dx to the RHS.

I realized that [itex]\hbar k[/itex] = mv = p can be substituted into the last step of my workings to obtain j = A2v which is the correct answer.

Good.

TSny said:
The probability current must be real. If A is complex (i.e., nonzero imaginary part), then A2 is also complex.

No, A2 is not necessarily equal to A x A. It is a fairly common notation to define A2 = AA* which is real.

dauto said:
No, A2 is not necessarily equal to A x A. It is a fairly common notation to define A2 = AA* which is real.

That seems confusing to me. There are times when we really do want the square of a complex number z (i.e., z2) rather than the square of the magnitude (i.e., |z|2 = z*z).

But, anyway, at least we agree on the substance of the answer to the question.

Related to Calculating Probability Current Density for a Wave Function

1. What is a probability density current?

A probability density current is a term used in fluid dynamics to describe the movement of a fluid with a varying density. It is a result of differences in temperature, salinity, or other physical properties causing the fluid to become more or less dense, leading to a flow of the fluid to equilibrate the density.

2. How is a probability density current different from a regular current?

A probability density current is different from a regular current because it is driven by differences in density rather than differences in wind or other external forces. It is also typically more localized and occurs in a vertical direction, rather than horizontally like regular currents.

3. What are some examples of probability density currents?

Some examples of probability density currents include thermohaline circulation in the ocean, which is driven by differences in temperature and salinity, and lake turnover, which is caused by seasonal changes in temperature and density.

4. How do probability density currents impact marine ecosystems?

Probability density currents can have a significant impact on marine ecosystems by bringing nutrient-rich water to the surface, which can stimulate the growth of phytoplankton and other marine organisms. They can also affect water temperature and salinity, which can impact the distribution and behavior of marine species.

5. How do scientists study probability density currents?

Scientists study probability density currents through a combination of field observations, laboratory experiments, and computer modeling. They use instruments such as buoys, moorings, and acoustic sensors to measure density and flow rates, and they also collect water samples to analyze for temperature, salinity, and other physical properties.