Quantum physics - probability density,

In summary: Thanks for your helpIn summary, the conversation discusses a particle described by a wave function on an interval [-L/2, L/2]. The probability and current density of the particle are calculated, and the probability of finding the particle on different intervals is determined. The question of expressing the current density in terms of the probability density and velocity is raised, which is solved using the De Broglie relation and classical mechanics. The phase and group velocities are also mentioned as related to the wave function.
Jillds

Homework Statement

consider a particle at an interval ##[-L/2, L/2]##, described by the wave function ## \psi (x,t)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)}##
a) Calculate the probability density ##\rho (x,t) ## and the current density ## j(x,t)## of the particle
b) How can you express ## j(x,t)## as a function of ##\rho (x,t) ## and the velocity ## v##?
c) What is de probability to find the particle at the intervals ##[-L/2, L/2]##, ##[-L/2, 0]## and ##[0, L/4]##

(note: not sure whether 'current density' is the proper translation of the term I have in Dutch for j(x,t).

Homework Equations

##\rho (x,t) = \psi^* (x,t) \psi (x,t)##
## j(x,t) = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \psi^* (x,t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi (x,t) - \psi (x,t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi^* (x,t) \big]##
##P(\Omega)= \int_{\Omega} |\psi (x,t)|^2 dx##
no clue on the relevant equation for b and c

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##\rho (x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{-i(kx-wt)} . \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)} = \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)+i(kx-wt)} = \frac{1}{L} e^0 = \frac{1}{L} ##
## j(x,t) = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{-i(kx-wt)} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{i(kx-wt)} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{i(kx-wt)} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{-i(kx-wt)} \big]##
## = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)} e^{i(kx-wt)} ik - \frac{1}{L} e^{-i(kx-wt)} e^{i(kx-wt)} (-ik) \big]##
## = - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} \big[ \frac{ik}{L} + \frac{ik}{L} \big]##
## = - \frac{i \hbar}{m} \frac{ik}{L} = \frac{\hbar k}{m L}##

b) I was not sure how to interprete the question, express first ## j(x,t)## as a function of ##\rho (x,t) ## AND afterwards in relation to velocity, OR all at the same time?

I have suggested for myself at least that ## j(x,t) = \frac{\hbar k}{m} \rho (x,t) ##
I have no idea how the velocity comes into that.

c) For the last part I have

## \frac{1}{L} \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} dx = \frac{x}{L}|_{-L/2}^{L/2} = 2L/2L =1##
Since the second interval is half of the first interval the probability should be 1/2, and checking the integral that is what I got. Same logic applies for the third given interval, which is a 4th of the first, and the probability is 1/4.

Can someone please review what I did solve, and whether I applied the correct logic or proper techniques. And can someone help me out with the velocity part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jillds said:
b) I was not sure how to interprete the question, express first j(x,t) as a function of ρ(x,t) AND afterwards in relation to velocity, OR all at the same time?
There is just one equation that combines them and has a nice expression. Your wave function describes a moving wave. What is its (phase) velocity?

(a) and (c) look fine.

I know there a continuity equation: ## \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \rho(x,t) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} j(x,t) = 0 ##. Is that the one you mean?

ETA: correction on the continuity equation per mfb's following comment

Last edited:
That continuity equation does not look right (edit: the edited version is correct now), but that is not what I meant.
What is the phase velocity v of your wave? It is the same as in the classical case.

Last edited:
phase velocity : ##v_p = \frac{\lambda}{T} = \lambda f = \frac{\omega}{k} ##
group velocity : ##v_g = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k} ##

I know I could rewrite the wave in its classic notation as ## \psi (x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} sin (kx - wt) ##
I know the phase velocity is ## v_p = \lambda f = \frac{\omega}{k}##
But I don't yet see how this relates to the probability density and j(x,t)... Help very much appreciated.

Found the solution:
De Broglie: ##p = \hbar k##
Classical mechanics: ## p=mv##

Hence, ## j(x,t) = \frac{\hbar k}{mL} = \frac{p}{mL} = \frac{v}{L} = v \rho(x,t)##

So, I started out correct by replacing the ## \frac{1}{L}## with the ## \rho##, but failed to recognize De Broglie relation and to apply Classical mechanics in that.

Related to Quantum physics - probability density,

1. What is probability density in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, probability density is a measure of the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular location or state. It is represented by a mathematical function that describes the probability of a particle being in a specific position or having a certain momentum.

2. How is probability density calculated in quantum physics?

The probability density in quantum physics is calculated using the wave function, which is a complex mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a particle. The squared magnitude of the wave function gives the probability density at a specific point in space or time.

3. What is the difference between probability density and probability in quantum physics?

The probability density in quantum physics is a continuous function that describes the likelihood of a particle being in a certain state, while probability is a discrete value that represents the chance of a specific outcome occurring. Probability density is used to describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while probability is used to describe macroscopic events.

4. How does probability density relate to the uncertainty principle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum physics states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The probability density function allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a particular location or having a certain momentum, but it cannot give us an exact value for these quantities due to the uncertainty principle.

5. Can probability density be negative in quantum physics?

No, probability density cannot be negative in quantum physics. It is always a positive value because it represents the likelihood of finding a particle in a certain location or state. A negative probability density would imply a negative probability, which is not allowed in quantum mechanics.