Finding the Inverse Function of tanh(x) in the Interval (-1,1)

In summary, the problem is to prove that the inverse function of ##f(x) = tanh(x)## is equal to ##\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{2k+1}## for all x in (-1,1). The attempt at a solution involves finding the inverse function as ##f^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{1+x}{1-x})## and using the Taylor expansion of ##ln(1+x)## and ##ln(1-x)## to prove the inverse function.
annaphys

Homework Statement

##f:= tanh = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}##

Prove that
##f^{-1}(x)= \sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{2k+1}## for all x in (-1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I also found the inverse function to be:

##f^{-1}(x)= \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{1+x}{1-x})##

I tried working with the taylor polynomial but unfortunately nothing came out of it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
annaphys said:

Homework Statement

##f:= tanh = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}##

Prove that
##f^{-1}(x)= \sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{2k+1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I also found the inverse function to be:

##f^{-1}(x)= \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{1+x}{1-x})##

I tried working with the taylor polynomial but unfortunately nothing came out of it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Do you know the Taylor expansion of ##ln(1+x)##? What about ##ln(1-x)##? Then you can use a fact about ##ln(a/b)##.

Hey thanks for the response! Does that also hold for all x's in (-1,1)? I know that holds for x<<1.

Related to Finding the Inverse Function of tanh(x) in the Interval (-1,1)

1. What is the inverse function of tanh()?

The inverse function of tanh() is arctanh(), also known as the inverse hyperbolic tangent function.

2. What is the domain of the inverse function of tanh()?

The domain of arctanh() is the interval (-1, 1) because the range of tanh() is (-1, 1).

3. How is the inverse function of tanh() related to the original function?

The inverse function of tanh() "undoes" the action of tanh(), meaning that applying tanh() followed by arctanh() will result in the original input value.

4. What is the graph of the inverse function of tanh() compared to the original function?

The graph of arctanh() is a reflection of the graph of tanh() across the line y=x. This means that the points (x,y) on the graph of tanh() become (y,x) on the graph of arctanh().

5. Are there any special properties of the inverse function of tanh()?

Yes, the inverse function of tanh() is an odd function, meaning that it is symmetric about the origin. This can be seen in its graph, which has rotational symmetry of 180 degrees.