Finding a of n from Sn partial sum

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial Sum
In summary: So you have ##S_n=\frac{-2n+9}{6n+15}##. Then ##S_{n-1}=\frac{-2(n-1)+9}{6(n-1)+15}=\frac{-2n+11}{6n+9}##. So ##S_{n}-S_{n-1}=\frac{-2n+9}{6n+15}-\frac{-2n+11}{6n+9}=\frac{2n^2+9n-2n^2+11n-9}{(6n+15)(6n+9)}##. So ##a_n=\frac{2n^2+9n-2n
freshman2013

Homework Statement

suppose that the partial sum of the series (sigma)n=1,infinity an is given by the partial sum Sn = (-2n+9)/(-6n+15). Find an expression for an when n>1

Homework Equations

Sn= (-2n+9)/(6n+15

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to subtract S(n-1) from S(n) to get each term for an and got the following terms
a2=8/9
3=-8/3
4=8/9
5=8/45
6=8/105
7=8/189
8=8/297
How am I supposed to come up with a generalized expression from these terms, or am I wrong from the first step of doing S(n)-S(n-1) to get those terms for an? The only pattern I can recognize is that after a4, the difference of the denominators increase by 24 from one term to the next.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

suppose that the partial sum of the series (sigma)n=1,infinity an is given by the partial sum Sn = (-2n+9)/(6n+15). Find an expression for an when n>1

Homework Equations

Sn= (-2n+9)/(6n+15

So I attempted to subtract S(n-1) from S(n) to get each term for an and got the following terms
a2=8/9
3=-8/3
4=8/9
5=8/45
6=8/105
7=8/189
8=8/297
How am I supposed to come up with a generalized expression from these terms, or am I wrong from the first step of doing S(n)-S(n-1) to get those terms for an? The only pattern I can recognize is that after a4, the difference of the denominators increase by 24 from one term to the next.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##S_{n}-S_{n-1}=a_n##. So take your expression for ##S_n## and subtract the same expression with n-1 substituted for n. Putting numbers in isn't the way to do it.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding a of n from Sn partial sum

What is the definition of a partial sum?

A partial sum is the sum of a finite number of terms in a series. It is used to estimate the total sum of an infinite series.

How do I find the partial sum of a series?

To find the partial sum of a series, you need to add up all the terms in the series up to a certain number of terms, known as the index. The index is usually denoted by "n".

What is the formula for finding the partial sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the partial sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = n/2(2a + (n-1)d), where "a" is the first term of the series, "d" is the common difference, and "n" is the index.

What is the formula for finding the partial sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the partial sum of a geometric series is Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where "a" is the first term of the series, "r" is the common ratio, and "n" is the index.

Why is finding the partial sum important in mathematics?

Finding the partial sum is important in mathematics because it allows us to approximate the sum of an infinite series, which can be useful in many real-world applications such as finance, physics, and engineering.