Finding the centroid of a triangle using complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for a deferred exam and asking a question about simplifying an equation. The instructor's steps are explained and the student attempts to solve it on their own. They reach a conclusion that t=s and this is then used to find the solution for the original equation. The student also mentions that their approach may be slightly different from their instructor's.
Baartzy89
Hi all,

I'm preparing for a deferred exam this semester after falling ill last year. Just looking over my course notes and have a question. I understand how this works in the big picture scheme. What I don't understand however is how my instructor simplified the original equation.

1. Homework Statement

Step 1) (1-t)z1 + t*(z2+z3/2) = (1-s)z1 + s(z2+z3/2)

Step 2) Simplifies to;
(2-s)z1+(t-2+2s)z2+(t-s)z3 = 0

Since z1, z2 and z3 aren't collinear, their coefficients in this equation must be zero. Therefore we have;
a) 2-s-2t = 0
b) t-2+2s = 0
c) t-s = 0

Then we readily find t = s = 2/3

Which is then substituted into the original equation for medians to find that it equals (z1+z2+z3)/3

Homework Equations

I understand how this works in the big picture scheme. What I don't understand however is how my instructor simplified the original equation step 1 to step 2.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt from equating the equations;
(1-t)z1 + t*(z2+z3/2) = (1-s)z1 + s(z2+z3/2)

0 = (2-s)z1+(t-2+2s)z2+(t-s)z3
= (1-s)z1 + s(z1+z3/2) + s(z2+z3/2) - (1-t)z1 - s(z2+z3/2)
= z1 - s*z1 - z1 + t*z1 - s*(z2/2) - s*(z3/2) + s*(z2/2) + s*(z3/2)
= t*z1 - s*z1

Therefore t*z1 = s*z1 and divide both sides by z1 t = s

I feel this comes out slightly like my instructors, but its faulty somewhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not expand the brackets in the first equation, multiply through by 2, then group like terms?

Related to Finding the centroid of a triangle using complex numbers

1. How can complex numbers be used to find the centroid of a triangle?

Complex numbers can be used in coordinate geometry to represent points in the complex plane. By converting the coordinates of the three vertices of a triangle into complex numbers, we can use the formula (a + b + c)/3, where a, b, and c are the complex numbers representing the vertices, to find the centroid.

2. Is the centroid of a triangle always a complex number?

No, the centroid of a triangle may or may not be a complex number. It depends on the coordinates of the vertices of the triangle. If all three vertices have real coordinates, then the centroid will also have real coordinates. However, if at least one vertex has an imaginary coordinate, then the centroid will also have an imaginary coordinate.

3. Can complex numbers be used to find the centroid of any type of triangle?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to find the centroid of any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. The formula (a + b + c)/3 applies to all types of triangles, as long as the coordinates of the vertices are converted into complex numbers.

4. How accurate is the method of finding the centroid using complex numbers?

This method is very accurate, as it is based on mathematical calculations using the coordinates of the vertices. However, it is important to use the correct formula and input the coordinates accurately to get an accurate result.

5. Can complex numbers be used to find the centroid of a triangle in three-dimensional space?

No, complex numbers can only be used to find the centroid of a triangle in two-dimensional space. In three-dimensional space, we use vectors to find the centroid of a triangle.